Want to get into the fall and winter season? Then try this recipe for Cinnamon French Toast Pita and Pumpkin Hummus.This is absolutely delicious, crispy, warm, decadent and nutritious all in one. It is the perfect vegetarian, plant-based recipe to make as an appetizer for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or to just enjoy on a chilly day.
Cinnamon French Toast Pita
Organic Whole Wheat Pita bread
1 organic, free-range egg
1/5 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 all spice
1/2 tablespoon coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of unheated sea salt
coconut butter ( I like the brand Artisana)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl except for the coconut butter.
2. Beat until ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
3. Cut pita in half and soak both sides in the mixture (will get a little soggy).
4. Coat a frying pan with coconut butter (usually about 1-2 tbs).
5. Place pita in the pan and cook until it starts to get brown and a little crispy, flip.
6. Serve hot.
Now that we have the pita ready to go, let’s get the hummus fixed up so we have something to dip it in!
1 1/2 cups of dry garbanzo (chickpea) beans or 1 BPA-free can
1 can of pumpkin puree
2-3 lemons, juiced
1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup Raw Tahini
2 tbs roasted garlic, minced
1 tsp cinnnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp dry ginger
unheated sea salt and pepper to taste
1.Let garbanzo beans soak over night in a bowl. Drain in the morning.
2. Place garbanzo beans in a sauce pan, bring to boil with enough water to cover a couple inches.
3. Reduce heat and simmer garbanzo beans for about 1 hour or until beans are tender.
4. Once cool, put garbanzo beans and about ¼ cup of water into a food processor or high-speed blender like a Vitamix.
5. Or, If you are using canned garbanzo beans, add them plus their liquid into food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients into the food processor or blender and mix until creamy.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve with warm cinnamon french toast pita bread.