As you will begin to see I am obsessed with soup. Warm, comforting, filling, easy to digest and always delicious. The best part is that it is really simple to make and you can always make enough to freeze or store for later.
Starting off my winter season of soup making is a new spin on cream of broccoli. Usually you will see it mixed with heavy cream and topped with loads of cheddar cheese, but I have devised a way to make this vegan and arguably better than the dairy version. This is a great way to ease your way into meals without meat or dairy since it is filling enough to have as the centerpiece of a meal. Enjoy this creamy vegan broccoli soup!
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
1-2 Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Sweet Onion, Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
3 Celery Stalks, Chopped
2 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
1 Quart Vegetable Broth
1 Cup Water
6 Heads of Broccoli (small), Chopped
2 Tbs Fresh Oregano, Chopped
1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
4-5 Tbs Raw Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
4-5 Tsp Fresh Chives, Chopped
Unheated Sea Salt
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Sauté for 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are slightly soft.
2. Add stock, water, broccoli and oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, a couple minutes.
3. Purée soup in a high-speed blender, immersion blender or food processor. Add mustard into blender/food processor. You might have to transfer batches at a time if the whole mix doesn’t fit.
4. Once soup is thoroughly blended, move back into the soup pot. Stir in salt to taste.
5. Serve soup with pumpkin seeds and chives.
*If you want to make the soup more filling, add a grain such as rice, quinoa or barley.