I have been having crazy sushi cravings lately, but since I am actually too lazy to go out and get some, I figured I would satisfy my craving at home. While I have ruminated over the thought of making sushi myself, every time I take a look at the rolling process, the little wood mat kind of scares me. Hence, my attempt to turn the sushi inside out, outside down and side ways…
What you end up with is the Ultimate Inside Out Sushi Bowl. Pleasantly surprised I must say!
Inside Out Sushi Bowl
2 Cups Basmati Rice, cooked
1 Sheet of Nori Seaweed (slightly toasted), cut into 1 inch by 1 inch squares
1 Package of Tempeh
1 Eggplant, sliced into small chunks
1-2 Tbs Coconut Oil
1/2 Lemon, Juiced
2-3 Tbs Nama Shoyu (unpastuerized soy sauce)
2-3 Tbs Brown Rice Vinegar
1 Tbs Fresh Ginger, Minced (I like Ginger People)
2 Tbs Miso
2 Tbs Fresh Chives, chopped
1 Avocado, sliced
3-4 Tbs Sesame Seeds
1. Take tempeh and slice into three pieces width wise. Spread a layer of miso and ginger on one side.
2. Place in a bowl or bag with a mixture of the lemon juice, nama shoyu and brown rice vinegar. Let it sit and marinate for up to 1 hr.
3. Place 1-2 Tbs of Coconut oil into a large skillet and add eggplant. Cook on low-medium heat.
4. Once marinated, put tempeh on the skillet. Turn heat up to medium-high for about 5 minutes, or until browned on one side. Flip tempeh over and continue to cook until tempeh is slightly browned and crispy. Be careful not to fry.
5. Scoop the rice into individual bowls and add eggplant and tempeh. Top with avocado slices, chives, nori, and sesame seeds. Take the remainder of the lemon, nama, vinegar marinate and drizzle over the bowls. If there is not enough left, feel free to make some more up and add.