Although we are getting into winter weather, I couldn’t resist purchasing some beautiful asparagus for dinner. Usually I like to just grill them with a little olive, salt and pepper but tonight I felt like something a little more exciting and refreshing. While this recipe for the sweet n tangy asparagus salad is most definitely a great lunch dish, you can also serve it as a main course for dinner by adding a warm grain such as farro or quinoa.
Sweet n Tangy Asparagus Salad
24 Spears of Asparagus (organic), sliced
3 Heads of Broccoli, diced
1 Small Sweet Onion, diced
8 Radishes, thinly sliced
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries (unsweetened)
1 Tbs. Lemon Juice
4 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
1 Tbs. Raw Honey
1/2 Tbs. Honey Mustard
2 Tsp Chives, finely chopped
1 Tsp Unheated Sea Salt and Black Pepper
1 Cup Sauerkraut
1. To make the dressing: Place chives, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, honey, mustard and pine nuts in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. If too thin, add more olive oil. If too thick, add a little water. Taste for any additional salt.
2. Place 1 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet onion.
3. Once the onion is slightly cooked, add asparagus and broccoli. Cover with a lid.
4. Cook for 5 minutes, or until they are tender, but are still bright green. You may toss well to prevent burning.
5. Once the vegetables are cooked, remove from heat and stir in radishes and dried cranberries.
6. Toss with salad dressing and serve with about 1 tbs of sauerkraut and lemon zest.
* You may serve with a warm grain, I personally love it with quinoa to add extra protein to the dish.