the-health-benefits-of-a-coffee-enema-directions
Education, Protocols and Detox, Toxins

The Health Benefits of a Coffee Enema + Directions

Alright everyone! I am so glad you even had the guts to open this post but the truth is that we are ALL curious about the hush-hush topic of the enema and I am going to bring it forth! I am such a fan of enemas, that I wanted to talk to you about the health benefits of a coffee enema, and how they can help to improve your health.

The enema is one of the oldest practices of cleansing and detoxifying, dating back to the Egyptians in 1,500 B.C., and has been called “one of the oldest medical procedures still in use today.” In fact, there is hardly a region of the world where people did not discover or adapt the enema. It is more ubiquitous than the wheel. Enemas are found in world literature from Aristophanes to Shakespeare, Gulliver Travels to Peyton Place and cultures ranging from the ancient Sumeria, Babylonia, India, Greece, China and American Indians. So why are we all so scared of talking about it then?

Image by mewall82

Well, because an enema is literally a fluid injected into the rectum for the purpose of clearing the bowel, accelerating the healing process or for the elicitation of detoxification. I know this scares you all, but seriously, this is the BEST thing you could do. Your only problem will be that once you start you will not want to stop!

Every friend, client or family member that I have recommended enemas to have all resisted, but once they started they were all in love. Why you ask? Because they feel amazing, they give you an instant burst of energy, they make your skin glow, they help with digestive problems, they relieve constipation, they aid in weight loss, they help get rid of headaches and best of all they make your stomach super flat! In fact, they should be a basic part of your detoxification program… I would say mandatory even.

What are Enemas Used For?

Over time, toxic wastes can accumulate in the colon and liver, and then circulate throughout the body via the bloodstream. This can lead to a toxic system that can manifest in many ways ranging from migraines and skin problems, to digestive disorders and allergies, to chronic pain and illness. Furthermore, it can lead to dull skin, acne, and a reduction hair and nail growth.

Enemas are therefore used to release old colon waste, freshen the G.I tract and stimulate liver detoxification which is essential for clearing toxins from the body and maintaining the health of all the organ and gland tissues in the body. They are especially helpful during a healing crisis, after a serious illness to speed healing or to give relief from fevers or detoxification headaches. They are even a mandatory cleansing method for those with gallbladder issues as well.

The History of Enemas

The word itself comes from the Greek en-hienai, meaning to “send or inject into.” Tribal women in Africa, and elsewhere, routinely use it on their children. The earliest medical text in existence, the Egyptian Ebers Papyrus, (1,500 B.C.) mentions it. Millennia before, the Pharaoh had a “guardian of the anus,” a special doctor one of whose purposes was to administer the royal enema.

The Greeks wrote of the fabled cleanliness of the Egyptians, which included the internal cleansing of their systems through emetics and enemas. They employed these on 3 consecutive days every month said Herodotus (II.77) or at intervals of 3 or 4 days, according to the later historian, Diodorus. The Egyptians explained to their visitors that they did this because they “believed that diseases were engendered by superfluity of the food”, a modern-sounding theory!

Enemas were known in ancient Sumeria, Babylonia, India, Greece and China. American Indians independently in- vented it, using a syringe made of an animal bladder and a hollow leg bone. Pre-Columbian South Americans fashioned latex into the first rubber enema bags and tubes.

In pre-revolutionary France, a daily enema after dinner was de rigueur. It was not only considered indispensable for health but practiced for good complexion as well. Louis XIV is said to have taken over 2,000 in his lifetime. Could this have been the source of the Sun King’s sunny disposition? For centuries, enemas were a routine home remedy. Then, within living memory, the routine use of enemas died out. The main times that doctors employ them nowadays is before or after surgery and childbirth.

Image by rexb

But Why Coffee?

This bean has an interesting history. It was imported in Arabia in the early 1500’s by the Sufi religious mystics, who used it to fight drowsiness while praying. It was especially prized for its medicinal qualities, in both the Near East and Europe. No one knows when the first daring soul filled the enema bag with a quart of java. What is known is that the coffee enema appeared at least as early as 1917 and was found in the prestigious Merck Manual until 1972.

In the 1920s, German scientists found that a caffeine solution could open the bile ducts and stimulate the production of bile in the liver of experimental animals. Coffee contains substances that promote the activity of glutathione- essential for liver detoxification- dilate blood vessels, counter inflammation in the gut, while stimulating the release of toxins from the liver and gallbladder, which are then flushed from the body. Furthermore, it produces enzyme activity for healthy red blood cell formation and oxygen uptake.

What is the Research?

Dr. Max Gerson used this clinically as part of a general detoxification regimen, first for tuberculosis, then cancer. Caffeine, he postulated, will travel up the hemorrhoidal to the portal vein and thence to the liver itself. Gerson noted some remarkable effects of this procedure. For instance, patients could dispense with all pain-killers once on the enemas.

Many people have noted the paradoxical calming effect of coffee enemas. And while coffee enemas can relieve constipation, Gerson cautioned: “Patients have to know that the coffee enemas are not given for the function of the intestines but for the stimulation of the liver.”

Coffee enemas were an established part of medical practice when Dr. Max Gerson introduced them into cancer therapy in the 1930s. Basing himself on German laboratory work, Gerson believed that caffeine could stimulate the liver and gall bladder to discharge bile. He felt this process could contribute to the health of the cancer patient.

Although the coffee enema has been heaped with scorn, there has been some independent scientific work that gives credence to this concept. In 1981, for instance, Dr. Lee Wattenberg and his colleagues were able to show that substances found in coffee — kahweol and cafestol palmitate — promote the activity of a key enzyme system, glutathione S-transferase, above the norm. This system detoxifies a vast array of electrophiles from the blood- stream and, according to Gar Hildenbrand of the Gerson Institute, “must be regarded as an important mechanism for carcinogen detoxification.” This enzyme group is responsible for neutralizing free radicals, harmful chemicals now commonly implicated in the initiation of cancer. In mice, for example, these systems are enhanced 600% in the liver and 700% in the bowel when coffee beans are added to the mice’s diet.

It is the liver and small bowel which neutralize the most common tissue toxins: polyamines, ammonia, toxic-bound nitrogen and electrophiles. These detoxification systems are probably enhanced by the coffee enema. Physiological Chemistry and Physics has stated that “caffeine enemas cause dilation of bile ducts, which facilitates excretion of toxic cancer breakdown products by the liver and dialysis of toxic products across the colonic wall.”

In addition, theophylline and theobromine (two other chemicals in coffee) dilate blood vessels and counter inflammation of the gut; the palmitates enhance the enzyme system responsible for the removal of toxic free radicals from the serum; and the fluid of the enema then stimulates the visceral nervous system to promote peristalsis and the transit of diluted toxic bile from the duodenum and out the rectum.

When is the Best Time for an Enema?

I like to take an enema first thing in the morning after your first bowel movement. It is always best to have an empty stomach as it is easier to hold it. You will want to strive to hold the enema for 15 minutes, since all the blood in the body passes through the liver every three minutes making it similar “to a form of dialysis of blood across the gut wall (Healing Newsletter, #13, May-June, 1986).”

* Note: When performing your first enema, I suggest using just plain water so that you can get used to the procedure.

Okay, that was it! Did you make it?

The deal is that you don’t have to tell anyone, you just have to try it… Being as private and conservative as the next guy, I did it and it has been the best ever. So just go ahead and give it a whirl. You can do it!!

I will even do you the favor of giving you a link to buy the Enema Bucket so you don’t even have to ask for it in a pharmacy, or even type it in Google Search…even auto-save won’t know you are doing it 🙂

So get started with your enema bucket here!

• Reply Tamara January 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

is it really necessary to do every 60 days if you eat a clean vegan diet ~ or is that more for individuals who go back to eating the regualr american diet?
    T

Reply lauren January 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi Tamara, Yes- I would most definitely recommend one every 60 days minimum, because we are not only exposed to toxins from our food, but from our water and our air, which are unavoidable. Furthermore, even if we are eating a clean vegan diet, we are still exposed to pesticides, herbicides and fumigants from our produce, because even organic food can be contaminated to some extent. Large organic farmers are legally allowed to use herbicides and pesticides, but they are just more “environmentally” and “health” conscious. Therefore, it is just the nature of living in this world to be exposed to toxic substances, so doing cleansing methods monthly is a necessary practice for the best health and for prevention. I personally also do an enema when I get back from traveling, if I have been eating out a lot, or if I feel low in energy. They just make you feel good!

• Reply The Ultimate Detoxification Guide | One Green Planet March 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

[…] […]

• Reply Sara April 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Lauren,

Is it safe to do an enema while pregnant?

Reply lauren April 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I always err on the side of caution and would recommend not to. Coffee Enemas do cause detoxification which is not what we want to do when pregnant. If you were considering a warm water enema that might be okay but I would consult your MD first because of the pressure.

• Reply Tamara July 16, 2012 at 4:37 am

Lauren,

Have you done any other types of Enemas? I’ve read a little about hydrogen peroxide enemas as well as apple cider vinegar enemas….. but would love another opinion. what would you say about these?

thanks!
    T

Reply lauren July 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I have just done unheated sea salt water enemas in addition to the coffee. As for other enemas, it really depends on your goal and what you are trying to gain. I have not heard of hydrogen peroxide enemas, and as for acv – I imagine those would be alkalizing – which I use unheated sea salt for. I typically do not find another reason to use any other type of enema other than the salt and coffee.. but there could definitely be benefits to others.

• Reply Tamara July 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

thanks. I’m thinking of adding in the acv along with the coffee one for a detox I’m doing. Not sure if it would be too much cause I’m also taking charcoal….. maybe I’ll let you know how it goes…

T

Reply lauren July 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Yes please do!

• Kristy Blaikie July 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

I take two a day and always add something like alliciden or any ND products from the PRL range keeps my Lymphoma at bay 🙂

• Reply Stanton Rodrigus April 10, 2013 at 4:10 am

I intended to write you that little remark just to thank you so much the moment again with your breathtaking concepts you’ve shown on this website. It’s so particularly open-handed of people like you to present without restraint all that many individuals could have distributed for an e book to end up making some dough on their own, specifically seeing that you might have tried it if you ever wanted. These basics as well worked to be the good way to be sure that other individuals have a similar fervor much like my personal own to grasp much more when considering this condition. I know there are thousands of more enjoyable periods up front for those who looked over your website.

Reply lauren April 12, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Thank you so very much! It is always really wonderful to hear that people are getting help from the site. I do what I can to make a difference 🙂

• Reply nikki April 24, 2013 at 3:57 am

I love enemas haha, they seriously rock, and I’ve been doing them since going off of B.C. for liver cleansing, how often can I do them, and how do you get regular after doing just one? I seem to have such a issue for days after, even though I ate a lot of fiber.

Reply lauren April 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm

You can actually do them everyday if needed. Some people that become very congested rely on them to have a bowel movement. While you do not want to rely on them permanently, they are necessary at times while you are working to heal the digestive system. Just make sure you are staying hydrated and replacing your minerals after your enemas.

• Reply nikki April 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Do you recommend a water enema before so if you don’t go to the bathroom before the enema?

• Reply nikki April 28, 2013 at 8:29 pm

And for how long can I do them everyday? Thank you so much for responding!

• Reply Michelle Smith May 14, 2013 at 10:14 am

I used to give myself coffee enemas up to twice wkly but stopped because my hair started breaking off (not sure if that was an enema side effect or the result of streaking my hair). I still give myself enemas and plan to in a few hours because my stomach is bloated. Enemas do relieve certain issues. I get flatulence from certain foods (many of which are my favorites); therefore, having an enema gets rid of gas, bloating, headaches, and even moodiness for me. I always feel super energetic after a coffee enema. I may try apple cider vinegar today.

Reply lauren May 20, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hi Michelle, typically hair loss is due to kidney and adrenal stress which is not directly exacerbated by coffee enemas. If you feel they are too cleansing, you can always just use warm water and unheated sea salt.

• Reply Kendra @ AProverbs 31 Wife July 16, 2013 at 12:56 am

I had gotten some sort of stomach bug and had suffered with a fever and very sore stomach as well as diarrhea all day. My mom suggested a coffee enema and would you know, by the time I got up to expel, my fever was gone and my stomach no longer hurt. It took all of 15 minutes for me to feel better! I’m a total believer now 🙂

Reply lauren July 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Awesome story!!!! It is amazing how powerful they are especially since it is so easy and gentle!

• Reply Kendra @ AProverbs 31 Wife July 31, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Yes I know! And my mom just called me today with some really cool news. She has been doing coffee enemas for 6-8 weeks now and has lost nearly 8 pounds! She just started losing about 3 weeks ago. So I guess getting toxins out of her body is helping her to lose weight!

• Reply » Thoughtful Thursday Kibby's Blended Life February 21, 2014 at 12:12 am

[…] ♥ The Covert Coffee Enema – I know I have talked about enemas here on the blog before and I especially like coffee enemas.  They are quite amazing.  Lauren at The Holy Kale did a smashing post on this “sshhh” topic.  This subject really needs more exposure to the masses who would benefit highly by it.  I know I have and still do when needed.  […]

• Reply Candy July 12, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I have never done a coff eenema. What kind of tube is used?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale July 31, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Hi Candy… I like using an enema bucket with a soft plastic tube with a soft round end. I personally use this one. Good luck!

• Reply CHAKWAN JONES February 22, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Today is my first day of your 30-day intestinal cleanse. I’ve had three c-sections, multiple surgeries followed my bad eating habits due to lack of knowledge. I’m so grateful I found you 3 o’clock in the morning. I knew God woke me up in the middle of the night for a reason. That night I read everyone of your blogs about the kidney and liver function. Once I was done reading, I immediately wanted to change my life. Thank you for sharing your personal trials and knowledge. Quick question: I’ve been researching coffee to do the coffee cleanse for maintenance after my 30 day intestinal cleanse. If you don’t mind sharing, what brand do you use?

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale February 29, 2016 at 4:47 pm

What a kind and wonderful note to receive! I am so sorry for the delay here. I would look for any organic coffee beans available at your health store. I personally use this coffee from Premier Research Labs. You just want to make sure you are getting organic and fresh beans. That way you can grind them fresh as needed. Feel free to follow up if needed via email at lauren@theholykale.com