juice detox directions
Protocols and Detox, Supplements

THK Juice Detox Directions

Alright, now that you have learned all about detoxification and why we are engaging in this detox, we are ready to go! The THK Juice Detox will last a minimum of 3-days with two preparation days beforehand. While we are going to be covering the 3-day detox, feel free to expand it to 5, 10 or even 30 days.

Missed the THK Juice Intro? Check it out HERE

Red Beet, Carrot, Spinach and Ginger Juice

Great Additions to the THK Juice Detox

During the THK Juice Detox, your body will be working hard to push toxins out of the body while rebuilding and strengthening the organ/gland systems. Therefore, this is an opportune time to give it a little help by implementing a few techniques to get the bang for your buck.

Sauna: a sauna acts as a method of using overheating therapy by raising the body’s temperature to elicit sweating. Sweating allows the skin to act as a “third kidney” by eliminating toxins through the skin. The most efficient is the infrared saunas because they heat the body from the inside out.

Exercise: During the THK Juice Detox it is recommended to include light exercise that encourages lymphatic drainage, sweating (a form of detox through the skin), movement of the blood and opening of the chakra systems. The best choices during this time would be The 5 Tibetan Rites, Yoga, Swimming and Walking.

Dry Brushing: Helps get rid of any toxins and dead cells that accumulate on the skin, therefore freeing the pores of impediments. This leads to improved detoxification through the skin. Furthermore, it aids in lymphatic movement (lymph carries toxic waste) and it improves circulation.

Therapeutic Salt Baths: The skin is one of our most important detoxification pathways and therefore this is an excellent time to utilize therapeutic salt baths such as Medi-Bath and Medi-Soak which will expedite the removal of toxins from the body while replacing vital minerals back into the body, for improved health.

Lymphatic Massage: The lymphatic system is the body’s natural antibiotic (carries white blood cells that remove toxins from the body) but often becoming stagnant from a lack of physical activity and an overabundance of toxic matter. Therefore, employing a lymphatic massage during the THK Juice Detox, you will get the lymph moving and accelerate the detoxification process.

Meditation/Quiet Reflection: Juice fasting is an experience that is far more than physical and you will most definitely experience an emotional journey at this time. Please take the time to sit quietly by yourself in a stress free environment where you can reflect on this process and reconnect with your body. This is an essential part of the Detox and should not be overlooked. I think you will be surprised at the emotional experiences you will have during this time.

Tongue Scraping: As toxins are pushed out of the cells for elimination, you might experience a coating of the tongue. Therefore, I recommend utilizing tongue scraping in order to rid the mouth of any residual toxin build-up. The best scrapers to purchase are made out of metal, such as this one.

Sleep: Sleeping is the body’s way of recharging, healing and rebuilding so please make sure that you set aside extra time to sleep during the THK Juice Detox. This will be invaluable to the success of your detox.

Q & A

How Long Should I do the THK Juice Detox for?

Depending on your goals, you can choose from a 3 day detox, a 5 day detox, a 10 day detox, and even a 30 day detox. A 3-day detox  helps the body rid itself of toxins, cleanses the blood, helps get rid of cravings and jump starts the body. This is the detox that I suggest everyone begin with so that you can get used to cleansing. Furthermore, if you have a lean body this would be the right time-frame for you because you will lose weight on this juice detox.

A 5-day detox begins the process of healing and rebuilding the immune system and would be a great second step for those who are comfortable with the 3-day detox.

A 10-day detox up to a 30-day detox is going to be the most therapeutic since it will help to clean the body on a deeper cellular level and it will aid in the regenerative of damaged tissue in the body. Furthermore, it may help to relieve many symptoms of disease, provide the greatest weight loss and reset physiological functioning. I suggest that this duration should only be done by those who have done a 3-day detox first, and those who have a stronger constitution since you may experience extreme weight loss.

* Note: if you are a naturally  thin person we never recommend that you do a cleanse longer than 10 days because you will loose too much muscle mass and compromise your health. If you have a larger body constitution or are overweight then we recommend that you work up to a 10-30 day cleanse for optimal health benefits.

What Type of Juice Should I Have?

Kale Juice with Lemon

You are free to choose any combination of fresh pressed vegetable juice from the Juice Guide. If you would prefer to add fruit, you may choose only from Green Apples, Lemons and Limes. I would focus on sticking with a majority of greens, since they contain the chlorophyll which promotes detoxification in the body.

How Much Juice Should I Have?

Everyone feels differently on the THK Juice Detox, so I suggest that you drink as much as you feel is right for you. As a guiding rule of thumb, the average person feels satiated with 2 cups of juice per meal.

Should I Juice Everything all at Once for the Day?

Once you juice your vegetables and fruit, the nutrition and enzyme content will begin to degrade. Therefore, I suggest making your juice right before your drink it, but if that is not possible, feel free to juice everything for the day. Just do the best you can.

Can I Use Bottled Juice from the Market?

No. Store bought juice is full of sugar and is not a “living” food (often made of concentrates and produced months ago), therefore it will not have the needed cleansing effect on the body. The only exception would be to purchase your juice from a vendor that makes it fresh- for example, some health food stores (Whole Foods) and cafes make juice fresh. This would be okay, but it will always be best to make it at home.

When do I Add in the Therapeutic Spices and Salt?

Once you have made your juice, simply add in the spices and stir. If you have a variable speed blender, you can spin it on low in the blender as well.

What if I Need to Eat Something?

Generally you will go through periods of hunger but they will pass. You really can only drink fresh juice, water and herbal tea, but you could even drink vegetable broth if needed. Homemade vegetable broth is my favorite way to reduce hunger, but don’t worry the hunger will pass, so just hold out.

*Tip to Quell Hunger: If you make your juice spicy, it often will quell your hunger. I like to add cayenne, ginger, or even jalapeño to my juices.

Can I do the Detox if I Cannot do Supplements?

Yes. The supplements suggested are included to aid in the detoxification process and to help you feel your best during your cleanse. Many times people go through detoxification reactions such as headaches, poor mood, fatigue and the supplements are intended to minimize those reactions. But you can go ahead with the cleanse without the supplements, it is just not as effective.

Why Can I Not Do Fruit Juice?

Fruit juice contains sugar and therefore can often cause blood sugar imbalances in the body. This can make fasting much more difficult and may cause more stress on the body than is needed. Furthermore, some people may be dealing with pathogens (viruses, bacteria, fungus, parasites) or Candida overgrowth which feeds on the sugars of the fruit. So it is best to just stick with sweet vegetables such as carrots and beets to sweeten your juice. You may feel free to add lemons and limes, and if necessary, minimal grapefruit or green apples (they are low on the glycemic index and have minimal effect on blood sugar).

Can I Chew Gum?

Chewing gum activates the digestive enzymes in the body which is not going to be helpful during the Detox. Therefore, please abstain from chewing gum.

If I do not Have a Juicer, Can I use a Blender?

Yes, you can use a blender but purchase a cheese cloth and strain out the pulp. This way you can still take advantage of the juice without the pulp, which contains fiber. If you find that you cannot get enough juice from your type of blender (bc the vegetables will not blend thin enough), you can do the cleanse with blended vegetables. While this is not ideal because it engages the digestive system, you will still see big changes in your health.

Need More Motivation?

Watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and get inspired!

Get Started Today and Purchase your Juicer and Consult the THK Juicing Guide!

• Reply Cortney January 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Putting it on the to do list.

• Reply Deborah Payne March 19, 2012 at 1:28 am

I like your site. please add me to your email list
    thanks

Reply lauren March 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Just signed you up Deborah! Thanks for joining!

• Reply faye August 5, 2012 at 2:24 am

Love the quote at the top of this post, it really says it all. I too am a lover of kale and what it can do for our health – IF we let it. I am on a 30 day juice cleanse right now (today is almost end of day 11) and have had kale every single day. It’s not the easiest to juice, except for hose beautiful stems. I can safely say even after this cleanse I am committed to incorporating raw kale into my daily diet. All hail the kale.

Reply lauren August 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Haha yes, it seems that kale is the ultimate health test. If you can love kale, you are a true health seeker! It certainly gets you on track!

• Reply jenna January 11, 2013 at 2:01 am

hi lauren,

first of all, thank you so much for the work you put into this site – it’s fantastic! i have one question: i did the salt flush for the first time the other day and had great results. today, i’ve started a ten day juice cleanse, so i’m wondering if i can continue to flush while cleansing, or should i wait until i’m done with the juice cleanse? thanks for your advice!

Reply lauren January 11, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Absolutely! It is a great way to keep the bowels moving during a cleanse. Happy Cleansing!

• Reply Adam February 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Hi Lauren… Do you use your breville centrifugal juicer to juice your kale and leafy greens?

• Reply Ericca May 23, 2013 at 3:21 am

Just wondering….when you add cayenne to your juice or lemon water, how much do you add?

Reply lauren May 24, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I personally add about 1/4th of a teaspoon, but i can handle it more spicy. You can do 1/8th to make it more tolerable.

• Reply Maranda June 20, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I have a nutri bullet and would like to use it during my first run of this 3 day fast, but I noticed that you mentioned using a cheese cloth to avoid fiber? Can you elaborate a little on why fiber is not good for you during this fast? What if I dont plan on using all the supplements, is it ok then?

Thanks so much for your time!

Maranda

Reply lauren June 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

When you are doing a fast, the absence of fiber is important because fiber engages the digestive system. In addition, the lack of fiber in the juice allows the nutrients to be more bio-available to the body, delivering the nutrients more quickly to the cells. Therefore just juicing is recommended for this type of fast, although you can still benefit from smoothies (plus fiber). The smoothie fast will just be less effective since your digestive system will still have to work.

• Reply beccah larsen September 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Hello…my husband is going to try the 3 day cleanse and was going to add the CoQ 10 which you say to take 1 tsp…but the link you provided says the product not found…so I searched for it on health beyond hype and it looks like the have it in capsules…how many capsules would you recommend during the cleanse it say 1 capsule 1-3 times a day? Thanks and we love your website!

• Reply stacee October 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Hi, Lauren,

During the Detox Days, should we limit water intake to the amounts listed on rising, mid-morning and mid-afternoon? Or should/could we drink more than that?

Thank you!

Reply lauren October 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

You can drink more…. 1/2 your weight in ounces of water.

• Reply Rennie March 18, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I’m really excited about doing this cleanse! Do you have any suggestions for person that works nights? Should I stick to the traditional schedule during the day or spread it out at night while I’m at work?
    either way is fine; I’m just concerned about how important the sleep factor is to the whole cleanse schedule.

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale March 22, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hi Rennie – if you are sleeping during the day, then just completely switch the schedule. Just do it at night as if the hours were in the day. Good Luck! I will look forward to hearing about your progress.

• Reply Maureen Steiner February 12, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I am very excited about your website!

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale March 15, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Thank you Maureen!

• Reply Tish July 9, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Your website is the best! Beyond informative, generous at best, and sincere… Thank You Lauren!

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale July 31, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Thank you Tish! Glad you are enjoying it!

• Reply K.C. June 28, 2016 at 8:41 am

Hi Lauren! So thankful to find your website and get pulled into cleansing–I am reluctant to do anything before understanding the what, how, whys of it. Dealing with a mysteriously inflamed appendix at the moment… so it’s time to biologically reboot.

Quick question from a beginner–I’m interested in working my way up to the Easy Intestinal Cleanse. Would it makes sense to (first prep my diet, then) start with the THK Juicing Detox (3 Days), then take a breather with a (hopefully) cleaner diet, thereby gearing up for the 30 day Intestinal Cleanse?

It seems the Intestinal Cleanse is more what punctuates your daily (whole-foods based) diet vs. the THK Juicing Detox, which looks like it’s interrupting your daily digestion by putting it on pause. [I saw the mention of ‘adjunct’ and was uncertain if this meant concurrent or back-to-back.]

ALSO: What do you think about prune juice? lol, man, this internet, right?

Thanks so much!

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale June 28, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Hey K.C, I think it would be a great idea to do the Juice Detox before the Intestinal Cleanse. The juice detox should help you to break poor eating habits that may prevent you from being successful on the easy intestinal cleanse. One of my favorite benefits of the juice detox is breaking addictions to sugar, caffeine and processed carbs. Definitely give it a try, and I think you might find that you are ready to jump right into the easy intestinal cleanse right after. As for prune juice, I would not incorporate this. You will want to drink only freshly squeezed or freshly made juice and prune juice is bottled and high in sugar. Focus more on green juice that use nutrient dense veggies like kale, collards, spinach, that are sweetened with fruits such as apple and pear. Best of luck!!!