The other day I finally got a chance to watch the documentary, “Vanishing of the Bees.” In order to celebrate how bees have contributed to my healthy and happy life, my boyfriend and I got comfy on the couch and indulged in our favorite Honey Bee products. To start: Sprouted toast with Raw Canadian Gold Honey and Bee Pollen, to Drink: Rooibos Tea with Honey and Lemon, and for Dessert: Raw Cacao Balls sweetened with Honey and Sprinkled with Pollen. Then I put on my Burt’s Bees chapstick and we lit our beautiful hand-made Beeswax candle. We were then ready.
“Vanishing of the Bees” is an extremely powerful documentary that brings forth the ever present problem of the massive die-off of bee colonies, not only in the U.S, but worldwide. Honeybees have been mysteriously disappearing across the planet, literally vanishing from their hives, and the worst part is that most people are not even aware.
Known as Colony Collapse Disorder, this phenomenon has brought beekeepers to crisis in an industry responsible for producing apples, broccoli, watermelon, onions, cherries and a hundred other fruits and vegetables. Commercial honeybee operations pollinate crops that make up one out of every three bites of food on our tables. Meaning that without bees, we would have almost NO fruits or vegetables- 1/3 of the food we eat today.
Filming across the US, in Europe, Australia and Asia, this documentary examines the alarming disappearance of honeybees and the greater meaning it holds about the relationship between mankind and mother earth. Thought to be the direct result of commercial farming practices, beekeepers worldwide are struggling to fight against the FDA and the agricultural biotech conglomerations, to save the very existence of our Honeybees.
A Few of the Most Powerful Facts:
1. Colony Collapse Disorder is a term used to describe the massive die-off of bees, but really is due to a host of problems including the infection of bees from pathogens, fungus, bacteria and viruses that are a direct effect of systemic pesticides.
2. Honeybees are contracted out to farmers nationwide and are shipped across the U.S for most of their existence. Once on the trucks, their natural food source of honey is replaced with corn syrup and artificial pollen. Because they are traveling so often, the Queen Bees are killed after a few months and replaced with an artificial Queen Bee. These artificial Queen Bees are also artificially inseminated to produce bees with specific traits that are deemed “more efficient” for massive pollination.
3. The Agricultural Business now uses Systemic Pesticides, which are part of the very seeds of the plants so that the pesticides are expressed in their nectar and leaves, rather being sprayed ON the plants. The alteration of the plant causes the bee to be confused, so much so that the bees literally fall off the plants and die.
4. Monoculture is now the main practice of industrial farming across the U.S and has contributed to the die-off of bees because there is no diversity in the flowers for the bees to collect pollen from.
5. 1/3 of ALL honeybee colonies have collapsed in the U.S– forcing the import of bees from Australia, just to maintain the production of fruits and vegetables in the U.S.
6. The majority of all honey sold in the U.S market is actually a refined version of honey that is largely made up of Corn Syrup– corn syrup is very harmful the body, shown to contribute to Diabetes and Obesity- so only purchase RAW honey.
7. Without Honeybees, the following would not EXIST:
|Fruits and Nuts||Vegetables||Field Crops|
As you can see this is an extremely important documentary and as a LOVER of all bee products, this is something that we should take note of. All bee products are widely used in alternative health treatments and have been a saving grace by not only being a fabulous source of nutrient-dense food products, but also are used for infertility, as natural antibiotics, for acne and for those with “failure to thrive” syndrome. These other, lesser-known, but more potenet bee products are Royal Jelly and Propolis, just another example of how bees impact our lives.
Can you Imagine a World without Honey, Fruits or Vegetables?
Neither can I. So take a moment to check out this documentary from either Netflix, Amazon or a Local Screening and learn how you can make a difference. Also don’t forget to support healthy bee practices by purchasing quality Bee Products like Raw Honey, Bee Pollen and Propolis.