A Detox Guide
We have all heard of the term detox before, and realize that it is probably something that we all have to do, but how in the world do you ACTUALLY do it? There are many ways in which we can detoxify the body, some that are more grueling then others, so I have created this guide for you so that you can find the form that is best for you and where you are on your health journey.
As you go through this guide you will see that some are far more advanced than others, some take far more time and commitment that others, and some are very simple and can be done daily. Whatever you choose for your practice, remember that detoxification is a necessary practice in order to offset the inevitable exposure to the toxins of today’s world. We can all have vibrant and outrageous health, we just need to put a bit of elbow grease into it. So here is a detox guide – the most complete overview of all of your detoxification and cleansing options.
Basic Facts about Detoxification
The main detoxification organs/pathways are the Kidneys, Liver, Colon and Lymph and the secondary detoxification pathways are the skin and lungs. Each is just as important as the other, all working in unison to keep the body healthy and toxin-free.
Kidneys: Filter the Blood and Make Urine
Liver: Process Toxins for Elimination via Bile
Colon: Separate Toxins from Nutrients and Pass Toxins on for Elimination
Skin: A Pathway for the Release of Internal Toxins
Lungs: Bring Oxygen to the Heart and Remove Toxins through Exhale
Lymph: Transports White Blood Cells for Immunity and Removes Toxins, Wastes and Pathogens for Elimination
Simple Detoxification Practices for Daily Use
1. Dry Brushing: Dry brushing removes the top layer of dead skin while removing any lingering toxins. Dry brushing opens the pores for more effective elimination while increases cell renewal. The process of dry brushing stimulates circulation and the lymphatic system for more efficient transfer of nutrients and removal of waste at the cellular level for full body health. Finally, dry brushing has been shown to stimulate the movement of toxins out of adipose (fat) tissue for reduction of cellulite. To learn more go here.
2. Nasal Irrigation with a Neti Pot: The Neti Pot works by passing saline water through the nasal passages and its finely tuned hairs (cilia) as well as the maxillary and ethmoid sinuses. This process clears inhaled foreign objects including dust, fragrances, pollen, air pollution and chemical residue and allows the nasal filters to operate efficiently. As a result, it prevents toxins from becoming trapped in the sinus cavity or ingested into the body, thus preventing infection. To learn more go here.
3. Sauna (infrared preferred): A 30 to 40 minute sauna raises your body temperature enough to induce a therapeutic sweat. This sweat allows your skin to eliminate toxins that otherwise remain stuck in your tissues and bloodstream. Saunas have been shown to increase the immune system, accelerate cardiovascular activity, stimulate vasodilation for pain relief and healing, and promote relaxation and the feeling of well-being. To learn more go here.
4. Oil Pulling: Oil pulling is an Ayruvedic practice of pulling cold-pressed oil (like sesame oil) through your teeth for between 10-20 minutes in the morning. The idea is that the oil is supposed to stimulate the eliminatory system while “pulling” bacteria and toxins out of the saliva. You then proceed to spit the oil and toxins out, causing a cleansing effect for the whole body. To learn more go here.
5. Lymphatic Massage: By stimulating the lymph nodes through massage, it helps to clear any blockages and gives the lymphatic system a boost keeping it running healthy and strong. This in turn keeps your body free of toxins and illness and while also creating a stronger immune system since your lymph is responsible for immune system regulation, fluid and waste removal.
6. Volcanic Salt Bath: Using therapeutic grade minerals, herbs, clays and oils, salt baths are used to draw toxins out of the body through the skin while replacing electrolytes back into the body for restoration and rejuvenation. To get started go here.
7. Tongue Scraping: An Ayurvedic tradition, tongue scraping is a method used to detoxify the mouth. It will help dislodge bacteria, food deposits and other impurities, which cause an unhealthy coating on the surface of your tongue and are later re-absorbed into the blood stream each time you eat or drink. Therefore, by using a tongue scraper daily, it is thought that you will reduce your overall level of toxicity while maintaining a healthy immune system. To learn more go here.
8. Ear Candling: An ancient healing practice used in Chinese Traditional Medicine, Native American and Mayan societies as well as the Egyptian culture, ear candling has been used to remove wax and other accumulations in the ear canal. Created out of beeswax and herbs, ear candles are designed in a spiral shape to create a vacuum which draws smoke through the ear canal. Thought to stimulate the lymphatic system for detoxification, relieve pain and pressure, remove excess wax and impede the growth of bacteria. While I have not personally had a lot of experience with ear candling, it is a practice worth looking into. To learn more go here.
9. Exercise: Exercise speeds up the metabolism for the removal of toxins via burned body fat. It induces sweating which stimulates the removal of toxins through the skin. Causes deep breathing which removes toxins from the lungs. It increases the heart rate and circulation, which causes the movement of toxins out of the body. Stimulates the lymphatic system which carries toxins to the organs for elimination while stimulating the immune system. Increases the transport of oxygen and nutrients to the cells in addition to stimulating the elimination of toxins and wastes.
10. Grounding: This is the practice of standing barefoot on natural soil such as grass, or on a grounding device, in order to rebalance the positive-negative charge in the body. Daily exposure to EMFs (cell phones, computers, TV, microwaves) induces voltages in our bodies, disrupting the trillions of subtle electrical communications which are a vital part of the function of our body’s systems. By being grounded to the Earth we greatly reduce the levels of these induced voltages and rebalance the reservoir of negatively charged free electrons. To learn more go here.
11. Essential Oils: Essential oils have the ability to permeate the cells unlike other nutrients, while also targeting and influencing the energy field of the body. As a result, they can be a very gentle, yet effective way to cleanse the body on a daily basis. One of my favorite essential oils for cleansing is Zendocrine by DoTerra. Featuring tangerine, rosemary, geranium, juniper berry, and cilantro essential oils, it supports the body’s natural ability to rid itself of unwanted substances. It targets the endocrine system and liver, aiding in hormone balance and the clearance of xeno estrogens. This helps prevent weight gain, mood swings, PMS, low testosterone levels and conditions of the breast, ovaries, uterus and prostate. Each individual oil provides protective cleansing and filtering functions for the body, supporting the organs’ capacity to rid themselves of stored toxic waste products. This oil can be used both internally and externally. Get started here.
More Involved Detoxification Processes for Weekly Use
1. Enema (Coffee Enema): Enemas are an important part of cleansing the lower colon of stagnant waste by flushing the colon with water. Coffee enemas are going to be the more therapeutic version of a water enema in that the coffee aids in liver detoxification and therefore full body cleansing. Coffee enemas are a vital part of maintaining optimal health and have been shown to aid in the healing and recovery of many from chronic symptoms and diseases. To learn more go here.
2. Colonic: Through the gentle infusion of water, impacted waste material is broken down and then eliminated so it can no longer harm your body or inhibit assimilation and elimination. Even debris built up over a long period of time can be broken loose in the process of a series of colonics. Once impacted material is removed, the colon will begin to function closer as it was intended to, and heal damage due to improper functioning and waste build-up. A colonic is a rejuvenation and detoxification treatment.
3. Castor Oil Pack: Castor oil packs are used to improve the body’s elimination, lymphatic circulation, and assimilation of nutrients. By using castor oil packs the flow of lymph is increased throughout the body. This helps to speed the removal of toxins surrounding the cells and to reduce the size of swollen lymph nodes. The end result is pronounced, systemic improvement in organ function with a general lessening of fatigue and depression. This is an ideal remedy for areas of chronic pain or inflammation, sore or stiff joints, menstrual cramps, amoeba parasitic infection or skin ailments. To learn more go here.
4. Salt Flush: The salt flush is the first step in cleaning the gut by gently causing an elimination of stagnant waste. This flush is very gentle and is the perfect way to begin cleansing. This cleanse is ideal for those looking to improve bowel movements, digestion and skin health. Made as a precursor to the intestinal cleanse. To learn more go here.
5. Intestinal Cleanse: “Death begin in the Colon” describes the importance of the digestive tract and this cleanse is geared towards strengthening and detoxifying the digestive tract. This cleanse is vital for those who dealing with any skin issues, allergies, food intolerances, constipation, fatigue, weight gain or just desires a beautiful appearance. To learn more go here.
6. Kidney Cleanse: The kidneys are known as the “Root of Life” and control energy, vitality, sexual health, hair and nail growth, hearing, fluid balance, blood pressure and are the last stop for detoxification in the body. Therefore, this cleanse is designed to strengthen and purify the kidneys, while cleansing the blood. This cleanse involves drinking an herbal tea for 30 days, along with taking nutrients to support the kidneys, and enzymes to clean the blood. To learn more go here.
7. Daily Detox Supplement Regime: If you are looking for a full body intensive cleansing program, I would suggest following a supplement regime daily. This will be in addition to the daily cleansing practices above. My favorite choice is the Detox Pure Pack. It’s a convenient and comprehensive once-daily packet that provides core nutrients, fish oil, taurine, NAC, and herbal extracts for optimal liver and detoxification function. Designed to support liver detox with the use of copper, magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, selenium and B vitamins, it also expedites the process with amino acids, curcumin, silymarin and sulforaphane. It protects the body against toxins with milk thistle, glutathione, and alpha lipoic acid and helps to clear heavy metals with NAC. It repairs the GI tract with glutamine, limiting the amount of toxins passing through the intestinal barrier, and promotes healthy bile flow and colon health. Get started here.
Advanced Detoxification Practices
1. Liver/Gallbladder Flush: The liver/gallbladder flush is the ultimate way to remove gallstones from the liver and gallbladder. While there is much controversy around this type of cleanse, I personally have done over 20 and it has changed my life. It is the process of using herbs and nutrients to stimulate the breakdown of gallstones ,which are then flushed from the body by drinking 4 oz of olive oil after a fast. This is a cleanse to be worked up to, but I have seen it revolutionize people’s healing process, and it should be a part of everyone’s practice (everyone has gallstones, even if you are young). To learn more go here.
2. Water Fasting: The process of water fasting is simply the process of consuming only water. This is an advanced type of detoxification that is usually only done under serious conditions or by those who are experienced fasters, because it forces the body to move toxins out very quickly, which can be harsh and demanding on the body depending. If you do decide to undertake a water fast, I would recommend doing the Kidney Cleanse before.
3. Juice Feasting: Unlike dry fasting, juice feasting is the practice of drinking just pure, fresh juice for a duration of time in order to increase nutrient uptake while promoting the release of stagnant waste and toxins from the body. Because the body does not have to engage the digestive system, the body can focus on using its natural enzymes for breaking down toxic substances while building back the immune system. Start the THK Juice Detox here.
4. Geophagy: This is the process of consuming specialized earth compounds such as Bentonite Clay for detoxification of harmful cations, positively charged molecules, like radioactive particles and heavy metals. This cleanse is vital in today’s world where there has been worldwide radioactive exposure not only from Nuclear Plant meltdowns, but also from constant exposure to X-Rays and Airport Scanning Devices. Furthermore, there has been unprecedented exposure to heavy metals from mercury amalgams, skin-care items, contaminated air and water, and Chemtrails. You can find Bentonite Clay here.
Notes about Detoxification:
Detoxification is not a process that should be taken lightly, and if you are interested in undergoing more serious detoxification processes I always recommend consulting a practitioner. Depending on your state of health, even the simplest of detoxification methods can cause symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, rashes, nausea, vomiting etc. This is mean’t to be a guide and I do not advise that you jump into the more complicated detoxes without guidance first.
Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.
♥ Your Detox Guide,