Daa Daa Daaaaa!!!!! This is the official unveiling of my FAVORITE Kale creation! Despite all the kale recipes I have made, this is by far my favorite and should be tried by you instantly. There might be a few ingredients in here that you have never tried, i.e. Farro, but do not shy away my friends, this is recipe will be worth it, and… here is the kicker… it can be done in 30 minutes! You do not have to be an accomplished chef here, novice or expert, everyone can make this vegan, coconut crispy kale recipe.
I must give thanks to my dearest chef mentor, Heidi Swanson, who has inspired this dish, as well as to the Kale farmer who inspired her. Pay it Forward.
* Check out her amazing Cookbook, i.e. your new bible, Super Natural Everyday.
THK Coconut Curly Crispy Kale
Coconut Oil, 1/3 cup
Nama Shoyu, 2 tbs
Kale, 2 large bunches chopped
Coconut Flakes, 1 1/2 cups
Farro, 2 cups cooked (1 cup uncooked)
Hemp Seeds, 3 tbs
Pine Nuts, 1/4 cup
Unheated Sea Salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. In a small bowl, mix together the Nama Shoyu and Coconut Oil. Put the Kale and Coconut in a large bowl and toss well with the oil/nama mixture. Sprinkle with unheated sea salt.
3. Spread the Kale across a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 20 minutes. Bake until the Kale is crispy but make sure it does not burn.
4. Remove from the oven and serve over cooked, warmed Farro. Top with pine nuts and hemp seeds.
To learn how to make Farro, go to the THK basic grains article.