“Don’t Stand in front of the Microwave, it can cause Cancer”
Wives’ tale or truth?
I remember first hearing this about 10 years ago, when we first starting really using our microwave for not only heating food but for cooking food as well. At the time, I would ignore that saying, and just stand patiently waiting for the food to cook, turning the light on every 30 seconds to see if it was ready yet. But how come in the back of my mind I never really forgot about the link between microwaves, radiation and cancer. Was there ever really a firm conclusion on the microwave risk? If you are like most people, there is still that lingering insecurity about microwaves that forces you to apprehensively move to the other side of the kitchen while using it.
So like all good investigators do, I took this so-called “wives’ tale” and decided to get to the bottom of it. At the bottom I found out that this is NOT a wives tale. Microwaves do have a definite connection to cancer, but that’s not all.
Let’s delve in.
*Quick Note: This is a content-rich topic, and because I know our time is valuable, I am going to try to convey this message as quickly and concisely as possible without compromising the information. Don’t worry though, if you are the reading type with a curious mind, there will be links at the bottom for further information.
How do Microwaves Work?
Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic radiation—waves of electrical and magnetic energy moving together through space. Microwaves are generated by something called a magnetron (a term derived from the words “magnet” and “electron”), which is also what enabled airborne radar use during WWII. Hence the early name for microwave ovens: radar ranges.
Every microwave oven contains a magnetron, a tube in which electrons are affected by magnetic and electric fields in such a way as to produce micro wavelength radiation at about 2450 Mega Hertz (MHz) or 2.45 Giga Hertz (GHz). This microwave radiation interacts with the molecules in food, by causing them to rotate millions of times a second. All this agitation creates molecular friction, which heats up the food. The friction also causes substantial damage to the surrounding molecules, often tearing them apart or forcefully deforming them.
Additionally, microwaving creates new compounds that are not found in humans or in nature, called radiolytic compounds. We don’t yet know what these compounds are doing to your body.
In addition to the violent frictional heat effects, called thermic effects, there are also athermic effects, which are poorly understood because they are not as easily measured. It is these athermic effects that are suspected to be responsible for much of the deformation and degradation of cells and molecules.
Cancer-Causing Effects of Microwaves
- Investigators found that carcinogens were formed from the microwaving of nearly all foods tested.
- The microwaving of milk and grains converted some of the amino acids into carcinogenic substances.
- Microwaving prepared meats caused the formation of the cancer-causing agents d-Nitrosodienthanolamines.
- Thawing frozen fruits by microwave converted their glucoside and galactoside fractions into carcinogenic substances.
- Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens.
- Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants—especially root vegetables.
- Ingestion of microwaved food causes a higher percentage of cancerous cells within the blood serum.
- In a statistically high percentage of persons, microwaved food caused stomach and intestinal cancerous growths
Decrease in Nutritional Value
- Structural degradation leading to decreased food value was found to be 60 to 90 percent overall for all foods tested
- Significant decreases in bioavailability of B complex vitamins, vitamins C and E, essential minerals, and lipotropics (substances that prevent abnormal accumulation of fat) were found.
- Various kinds of damaged occured to many plant substances, such as alkaloids, galactosides, nitrolosides, and glucosides
- The degradation of nucleo-proteins in meats.
- A marked accelerationg of structural disintegration in all foods
Interruption of Normal Functioning of the Body
- Alteration of the food substances cause disorders of the digestive system by unstable breakdown of microwaved food
- Due to chemical alteration of the food, malfunctions occurred with the lymphatic system, causing a degeneration of the immune potentials of the body to protect against abnormal tissue growth
- In a statistically high percentage of persons, microwaved food caused a general degeneration of peripheral and cellular tissues, with a gradual breakdown of the function of the digestive and excretive systems.
Effects on our Electrical Body
The ingestion of microwaved food as well as the exposure to the energy-field itself causes the following adverse side-effects:
- A breakdown of the human “life-energy field”
- A degeneration of the cellular voltage, especially in the blood and lymph
- A degeneration and destabilization of the cell membranes
- Degeneration and circuit breakdowns of nerve impulses within the brain
- Loss of energy in the nerve centers
- Loss of balance in the system which controls the function of consciousness
- Long term cumulative loss of vital energies
- Long lasting magnetic “deposits” in the nervous and lymphatic system
- Interruption in the production of hormones and maintenance of hormone balance
- Higher levels of brainwave disturbance
Top Ten Reasons to Get Rid of the Microwave
1). Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term — permanent — brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].
2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.
3). Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.
4). The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.
5). Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.
6). The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous, free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.
7). Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.
8). The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
9). Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.
10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.
What’s Next? Getting Back to the Basics
Humans lived on this earth for thousands of years without the use of a microwave and believe it or not, we are better off. I know it might be hard to imagine a life without instant gratification, but the benefits are worth the extra time and effort. I stopped using my microwave 3 years ago, and I will admit it definitely took some getting used to. But the point is, the more that we simplify our lives, the more we get back to our natural state, the healthier and happier we will become. When in doubt, think of what your grandmother or great-grandmother did, this always helps me-plus it makes me smile 🙂
Here are a few tips to get your new life started:
1. Heat your food using a convection toaster oven-food tastes way better in here! I use this Hamilton Beach version that has been awesome! A toaster, a “microwave” and an oven all-in-one!
2. Remember your stove top and oven-they are made to heat too! Just throw back into a pot, saute pan or baking dish and heat.
3. Microwave Only Food?-you shouldn’t be eating it anyways.
4. Plan ahead-take things out of the freezer in advance to defrost and run under hot water.
5. Get an electric tea pot-you can not only heat water in 30 seconds, but you can also heat other beverages in there as well. *It is also great for expediting the process of boiling water (boils it within 2 minutes). This is the one I use: Capresso.
6. Worried about time? Eat it Raw. Eating foods in their natural raw state is the healthiest way to eat foods because they are the highest in nutrients and enzymes-just what your body needs!
7. Popcorn? Simply place corn kernels with butter on a large pan, cover and heat-way healthier and more fun!
8. What to do with the microwave? I currently use my microwave as a storage place for my dish towels, and I must say they are quite happy there. Plus there is a light, timer and clock-all necessary kitchen tools.
Well my friends you have made it! Next step is to take action. I have faith in you all that you have enough common sense and self-love to take this seriously and fortunately it’s easy! A little change, a big impact.
Further Outside Reading:
Anthony Wayne and Lawrence Newell “Radiation Ovens: the Proven Dangers of Microwaves” Rense. 6.14.00
Vallejo F, Tomas-Barberan F A, and Garcia-Viguera C. “Phenolic compound contents in edible parts of broccoli inflorescences after domestic cooking” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture (15 Oct 2003) 83(14);1511-1516
Kidmose U and Kaack K. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica B 1999:49(2):110-117
Quan R (et al) “Effects of microwave radiation on anti-infective factors in human milk,” Pediatrics 89(4 part I):667-669.
Kakita Y, Kashige N, Murata K, Kuroiwa A, Funatsu M and Watanabe K. “Inactivation of Lactobacillus bacteriophage PL-1 by microwave irradiation” Microbiol. Immunol. 1995;39:571-576.