It is the first day a Spring and the perfect day to begin revamping your health plan! With summer shortly on its way, we must start clearing up those cobwebs of holidays past, and start getting motivated to achieving our best health yet!
With spring in mind, and the flowers and leaves beginning to bloom, we can look at our bodies in the same way, a chance for a rebirth and revitalization. Therefore, I am going to share with you the best basic supplement program. This is a perfect start to put that spring back into your step.
The following guide is what I offer to all my new clients who are looking for a general supplement program. Please keep in mind, that these are all my personal recommendations, along with my favorite products from companies I trust. If you are dealing with any sort of digestive issue, then it would be best to begin with a tailored digestive program before delving into this program. That’s because if the digestive system cannot process nutrients, than you will not be able to get the most out of these food powders and supplements.
*Note: This program does not replace a healthy diet, it is in addition to.
The Basics of Supplements
The body needs a wide range of nutrients in order to function properly and the best way to do that is through live-sources. This means whole foods, herbs and roots that are eaten whole or taken in the form of a powder or vegetable capsule. It is imperative that you do not supplement with any nutrient that has been exposed to toxins or contains added preservatives or fillers (98% of products sold on the market). Therefore, I only recommend nutrients of the highest quality (mostly raw, vegan, organic, preservative, additive-free) that will best support optimal functioning.
* Please read this series of articles, “Dirty Little Supplements,” on the varying quality of supplements, their benefits and sometimes dangers, before you decide to purchase a supplement program
Water and Unheated Sea Salt
To begin, the body needs ample purified water and minerals. It is recommended that you drink ½ your weight in ounces of purified water daily and that you consume a healthy source of unheated sea salt. Unheated sea salt is essential for providing essential and trace minerals that are no longer found in food. Furthermore, unheated sea salt provides the chloride fraction for natural HCL (hydrochloric acid) production in the stomach. HCL is needed for digestion and as a disinfectant, protecting your body from any foreign pathogenic material (think food poisoning and parasites).
* Learn more in “A Misunderstood Salt”
- Begin the day with 1 quart of purified water with ¼ tsp of Pink Salt (unheated sea salt) and ½ Lemon. Finish before you eat or drink anything else. This jump-starts the adrenal glands, the liver and therefore energy production and metabolism. It helps keep the body alkaline and encourages natural detoxification and normal bowel movements.
- Replace your normal Table Salt for unheated sea salt (pink salt). Consume 1 tsp daily.
Vitamins and Minerals
Every cell, metabolic function and action in the body requires a host of vitamins and minerals that must be available at all times. In today’s toxic environment, it is much harder to keep those nutrients available. First off, our nutrients are being used up more quickly to offset our constant exposure to toxins, chemicals and stress, and our food does not contain high enough levels of nutrients to support that loss. Therefore, it is imperative to make sure that you take a daily supplement to fill that void and to provide the nutrients needed for optimal functioning.
* Beware of the majority of store bought daily supplements because they almost always contain synthetic nutrients, are highly processed and contain toxic fillers and additives.
- Capsules: Greens Caps by Premier Research Labs, Women’s Pure Pack or Men’s Pure Pack by Pure Encapsulations
- Powder: Greens Powder by Premier Research Labs
- Children: Junior Nutrients by Pure Encapsulations
Essential Fatty Acids (omega 3,6,9)
Our need of healthy fats has grown to a point where supplementation is imperative. The majority of our dishes are served or manufactured with harmful fats, such as canola, polyunsaturated fats (trans fats), cottonseed, vegetable, margarine and soybean oil – it is impossible to avoid them. This leaves our body in an extremely delicate state. Furthermore, the many sources that we once relied on for these healthy fats, such as animal products, fish and dairy, are no longer rich in healthy fats in the right balance and are also now highly toxic. Therefore we must look to healthy supplementation and superfood sources in order to obtain these critical fats.
Fats are essential for making the membrane of every cell in our body, and without healthy fats, our cells become highly vulnerable to pathogenic and toxic materials that lead to chronic disease, cancer and other symptoms. Furthermore, healthy fats are needed for normal hormone production, which control a majority of functions in the body ranging from inflammation, fertility, sleep, mood, energy, and a beautiful appearance. Pregnant or hoping to get pregnant? Then essential fatty acids should be a part of your daily program. Essential fatty acids are necessary for fertility and the normal development of an embryo and fetus.
- Capsules: EPA/DHA Essential by Pure Encapsulations
- Liquid: EPA/DHA Essential Liquid by Pure Encapsulations
- Other: Hemp Seeds, Chia Seeds, unheated raw nuts, avocado, olives, coconut and olive oil
It is now well recognized that the human population is highly deficient in the critical fat-soluble vitamin D. Due to modern day lifestyles of sunscreen use and indoor living/working, humans are simply not receiving enough direct sunlight for adequate vitamin production. Furthermore, even if we do receive enough sun exposure, often our organs are not functioning well enough to convert it to its active form.
Vitamin D is vital to activating the immune system (preventing cold/flu), is required for calcium metabolism and bone health, helps to regulate blood sugar, is needed for mood stability and muscle function, and plays a role in disease and cancer prevention.
Antioxidants are the new vitamin and mineral. They are your offense to living in our toxic world and now deemed vital to maintaining optimal health and preventing disease, cancer and rapid aging. They are no longer seen as an “extra” to our diet plan, but an “essential” component as we are breathing, eating, drinking, and applying toxins daily.
Antioxidants combat free radicals, which form both in the body naturally, and also occur from toxic exposure. Free radicals cause severe DNA damage and destruction, and without antioxidants will continue to do so until symptoms, aging, disease and cancer manifest. While our fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants, their levels are no longer high enough to provide the concentration that our body needs in order to be healthy.
- Capsule: PureCell by Pure Encapsulations
- Liquid: Green Tea ND by Premier Research Labs
- Powder: Camu Camu by Immunologic, Acai Powder by Navitas Naturals, Green Coffee by Navitas Naturals
If you are following a plant-based vegan or vegetarian diet, then sometimes it is hard to get a few nutrients that are necessary for optimal health. These nutrients would include B Vitamins (specifically B12), Essential Amino Acids (protein), Calcium and Iron. Adding these specific nutrients into the diet maybe essential for feeling and functioning at your best.
- B Vitamins (B12): Max B ND, B12 ND, Nutritional Flakes
- Amino Acids (protein): Sunwarrior Protein Powder
- Calcium: Chia Seeds by Navitas Naturals, Calcium Magnesium by Pure Encapsulations
- Iron: ErythroPro by Premier Research Labs, Cacao Powder by Navitas Naturals, OptiFerin-C by Pure Encapsulations