How to Keep your Produce Fresh
Education, Food, Food Truth, Nutrition Tips, Taste

How to Keep your Produce Fresh

Now that we are all on the path to keeping boat loads of fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs in our homes at all times, we must talk about keeping them fresh! There is absolutely nothing more frustrating and just right out sad when you go to eat the piece of fruit or vegetable that you have been saving, and low and behold it has wilted and died. All your fantasies of juicy yumminess have flown out the window. Therefore, in order to SAVE our fresh produce from a dilapidated death, let’s learn how to keep your produce fresh.

how to keep your produce fresh

Photo Credit: paul morris

I must also mention that our very dear farmer friends have gone to all the trouble of planting, caring for, nurturing, harvesting, packaging, transporting and then selling us their fabulously nutritious food, so the least we can do is keep it alive and fresh long enough for us to enjoy it!

This post was made possible by our friend Erin at

• Reply Mary Swanson March 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

An E.G.G., Ethylene Gas Guardian, absorbs that ethylene, and preserves the freshness of your produce. You’ll be amazed at how much less food you’ll waste, and how much money you’ll save.

Check this for more info

• Reply Ginger & Cinnamon Medley | B's Simple Ingredients… March 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm

[…] our bodies it is important to carry some consciousness.  Another good post on the site discusses the best ways to keep produce fresh – which is useful for anyone, but especially if you live alone and need those veggies to […]

• Reply Cortney March 11, 2012 at 12:10 am

I feel richer already! No more wasted food.

• Reply melanie March 16, 2012 at 11:12 pm

This is great! Thank you I will definitely be using this!

• Reply harmony October 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm

What about Kale????

Reply lauren October 23, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I treat the Kale like the Collard Greens. So good!

• Reply Leanne January 5, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Kale ….is under the greens section , place in a cup of water in the fridge , it is how I always store mine as above and works great 🙂

• Reply How to Make Your Perishable Food Items Last for Two Weeks | Passionate Homemaking November 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm

[…] For a complete guide on how to store all your produce, check out this excellent list. […]

• Reply Connie January 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm

You didn’t mentio I store garlic, peeled in a jar with oil covering the garlic. It lasts for a very long time that way. Also ginger roots are stored long term in white wine. Both should be refrigerated and covered completely in the liquids.n garlic or ginger.

• Reply keeping-fresh-herbs « Joy Herbal Joy Herbal June 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm

[…] Keeping your Produce Fresh! | The Holy Kale […]

• Reply Nifer August 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

Basil is not hard to store at all! Just cut off the ends and place in a glass of water on your counter. They will last forever. In fact, they have starter to grow roots on me in in the past because I hadn’t touched them in a week or two. I simply planted them into a pot of soil, and they thrived into plants!!

Reply lauren August 23, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Great tip!!!

• Reply Lauren November 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I just trimmed my basil stems and loosely packed them in a tupperware container with the lid on. I have not had much luck storing basil (the water glass method has failed me repeatedly) and I’m a bit nervous, as I’d like to use it two days from now. Will it be okay without air or water? Have you personally had luck with the airtight container method?

Reply lauren November 5, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hi Lauren – it does seem to work for me, but maybe it does have to do with the humidity and temp of where it is stored as well. Let me know if it works!

• Reply Linked Up | thekarmaconcept January 8, 2014 at 11:51 pm

[…] @ The Holy Kale is one of my favorites in the online health world.   I love her article on Keeping Your Produce Fresh.  This is very important for maximizing the food you spend so much time and money on!  I use it […]

• Reply debbie June 18, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I left fresh celery out alnight on my counter is it ok to still eat it?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale July 12, 2014 at 2:32 pm

• Reply Yani May 12, 2015 at 5:35 am

Do carrots need to be refrigerated? Also, how long does it take for potatoes and sweet potatoes to go bad?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale May 12, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Yes carrots do need to be refrigerated. As for potatoes and sweet potatoes, they are best stored in a cool dark place such as a cabinet. Their shelf life depends on a few factors, but 3 weeks to 2 months is the range. Once they get soft or bud, then they should be tossed.