Photo Credit: Joanna Kosinska
Breakfast, Recipes, Smoothies and Juices, Snacks, Superfoods

Killer Kale Smoothie

So being The Holy Kale and all I realized that I have been quite selfish for not sharing with you all of my favorite, and most dear kale recipes. So to make it up to you, I am going to do my very best to start posting them as frequently as I can measure them out (I am terrible at cooking with measurements, I am more of a “make it up along the way” kinda girl). Therefore, I am going to start you off with my new current obsession… The Killer Kale Smoothie!

Killer Kale Smoothie

Killer Kale Smoothie

Like a lot of you, I tend to get myself into what I like to call food ruts. This is where I am completely obsessed with a few things and stick to them until I am absolutely, positively, completely over them… and I fear this may not be any different than the rest. With that being said, this may actually be a good sign, because I tend to only obsess over things that not only taste amazing, but also give you that long-lasting energy we all so desperately need.

So why a Killer Kale smoothie you may ask? Well as cheesy as it might be, this drink has been my saving grace during an outrageously crazy time in my life. When you have moved across the country with all of your favorite things in boxes and bags, you realize how important it is to have access to good, healthy food that is both quick and easy to make, and especially to a  food that does not make you tired and sleepy. That is what the Killer Kale smoothie is to me. Therefore, this smoothie has been at the foundation of my “getting though the day” survival pack, making a big batch in the morning and savoring it throughout the day. Absolute perfection, and worth every drop of The Holy Kale obsession!

*You will notice that I add a few superfoods like hemp, bee pollen, rice bran and coconut flakes to my smoothie. While these are optional, they improve the nutrition of the smoothie adding extra healing and weight loss promoting fats and protein. To learn more about superfoods, go here.

Almond butter smoothie

Almonds – rich in vegan protein!

A little note about Rice Bran. This is not a very common superfood, but it has quickly become one of my favorites. I seriously cannot live without it for a number of reasons. First off it tastes amazing! It has a creamy, vanilla flavor that is perfect for smoothies, desserts and to even to eat plain (I have been known to have my head stuck in a jar many late nights). Secondly, Rice Bran is a fabulous superfood because it is a natural source of 100 vital nutrients that we don’t typically get in adequate amounts from our diets, and it is so nutrient dense it can even act as a multi vitamin! Amazing I know. Finally, it is a natural source of CoQ10, that amazing antioxidant that has shown to improve cardiovascular health and also increase cellular energy.

* Note: if you are currently on Statin drugs, it is essential that you supplement with CoQ10.

Rice Stalk by IRRI Images

Here are the Nutrient Highlights:

• Vitamin E (all 7 components)
  • B Complex
  • Antioxidants: Alpha Lipoic Acid, CoQ 10, Glutathione
  • Carotenoids: Lycopene (prostate support), Lutein, Zeaxanthin (eye support)
  • Essential Amino Acids
  • Essential Fatty Acids
  • Phospholipids – needed for cellular membrane production, essential for the brain, nerve and heart
  • Polysaccharides

Fabulous Health Implications:

• Supports normal glucose levels by balancing blood sugar
  • Supplies fuel for the cell, therefore increasing energy and metabolism
  • Supports immune, brain, heart and nerve health
  • Easily absorbed, so perfect for those with digestive issues
  • Can be used to make the perfect baby food but can also aid in athletic performance
  • Ideal support for joint, circulation, and cholesterol
  • Contains healthy fiber making it a good weight management food
  • Vegan!

≈ For more healthy living tipsrecipes and inspiration please subscribe to this blog on the top left of the homepage, follow me on Twitter, on Pinterest and  Join the THK health conversation on Facebook!

To the healthiest, tastiest food we can create!

• Reply Angela@veggievinyasa May 17, 2012 at 2:56 am

Frozen bananas have changed my life. Maybe that’s an exaggeration, but I’m obsessed with smoothies and they make everything taste good! I love any combo of greens, bananas and nut butter, but I’ll have to try adding hemp seeds and rice brans (2 ingredients I’ve never had). Thanks for the idea!

Reply lauren May 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Absolutely! The frozen banana really makes it creamier almost. And yes, I LOVE rice bran. It is really the best thing ever because it has a creamy vanilla-like taste which is perfect for smoothies and dessert recipes, and its super rich in Vitamin E and it helps balance blood sugar as well. Definitely try it. This is where I get mine (sometimes it is hard to find): Rice Bran Superfood

• Reply Emily Lynne / The Best of this Life May 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I am definitely going to try this recipe! I’ve had rice bran pasta, but never rice bran in smoothies…very curious now 🙂
    Looks delicious and healthy as can be 🙂

Reply lauren May 17, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Ya, it’s not very common, but it really has been one of my all time favorite superfoods. Sometimes I just eat it plain!

• Reply Emily Lynne / The Best of this Life May 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Sharing this on my facebook page!

• Reply Trish May 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’ve never used rice bran. Now I’m on the look out for it in my store!

• Reply Erin July 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I just recently purchased a vitamix and have been smoothie crazy lately. I love having at least one green smoothie a day. I can’t wait to try out this kale smoothie! I’ve been using dino kale and I wonder if the curly kale is better for smoothies since I’ve read it has a mild flavor. The dino kale is just SO green (which I love!) Do you make your own nut butter?

Reply lauren July 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Well I typically love the Dino Kale for making salads, I will massage with lemon juice and olive oil and then top with seeds, dried fruit etc. and then use the curly kale for the smoothies. Like you said it does have a milder taste so it can be blended with other flavors well. As for the nut butter, I usually make nut cheeses and then just get the artisana raw butters…. sooo good and they have flavors like pistachio, macadamia …. yummm!

• Reply Tracey July 8, 2012 at 1:25 am

Glad to have finally found the holy kale!!!! I drink a lot of green smoothies, but I was wondering how strong this is with an entire bunch of kale. Whenever I use more than 2-3 stalks it seems very strong. Maybe I have not acquired enough of a taste for it in smoothies. I love kale salads and kale in my juice. Thoughts?!

Reply lauren July 10, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Did you freeze the banana? That makes ALL the difference… for me this smoothie really tastes only of bananas and almond butter, but if you are more sensitive, just add some more banana!

• Reply Sarah Severn August 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for the great recipe, I will be trying it out, but would be interested in a substitute for rice bran which some studies have shown is linked with high levels of arsenic, owing to rice’s ability to take up arsenic from the soil.

Reply lauren August 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Hi Sarah, I cannot speak for all brands, but I personally know the owners of products that I am recommending, so I know there are super safe 🙂

• Reply Sal Collaziano September 11, 2012 at 4:01 am

Hi there,

I just purchased all the ingredients to make this smoothie at Whole Foods. How do you measure two cups of Kale? Pack it in and push it down or leave it loose?

Looking forward to trying this out.

Thank you!

Sal C.

Reply lauren September 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I take the stems off the kale and then pack it into the blender and measure 🙂

• Reply Alice September 17, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Do you have any advice for substituting out the banana? I can’t stand banana taste smell or texture. I also hate yogurt (and most dairy) unfortunately.

Reply lauren September 17, 2012 at 8:03 pm

You can try using coconut meat as a substitute!

• Reply Louise September 27, 2012 at 5:39 am

Just made this smoothie and it was sensational! Thanks!!

Reply lauren September 27, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Awesome go-to!!!

• Reply Don Bill September 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm

How about some mention of the toxic effects of oxalic acid that abounds in dark green leafy vegetables and the dire health problems that can appear from chronic consumption of green smoothies.

Reply lauren October 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Hi Don, I can understand your concern, but most people can process the oxalic acid just fine with moderation in mind. WIth that being said, I would always be more mindful of oxalic acid consumption if you are dealing with kidney stones or other kidney related issues.

• Reply Krazy for Kale « You Caught It Here October 11, 2012 at 12:02 pm

[…] at your local grocery stores. Here are some recipe ideas to incorporate kale in your daily diet: – Killer Kale Smoothie – Sautéed Kale – Raw Tuscan Kale Salad Share […]

• Reply Soon October 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads
    up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why
    but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

Reply lauren October 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Thanks! But I don’t seem to have an issue on my end… have you updated adobe?

• Reply Shayla B. October 29, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Excellent recipe! I am just getting into Kale and this was a fabulous way to get a huge serving in one meal. Thank you so much!

Reply lauren October 31, 2012 at 2:32 pm

You are welcome! Feel free to mix the recipe up as well. You can use pumpkin seed butter, or walnut butter as a replacement.

• Reply Annemarie Broderson October 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I was planning on purchasing the Premier Research Labs Daily Multi per your Basic Supplement Plan recommendation, but then I saw the Immunologic Rice Bran and now I am a little confused. Could I take both of these together, or would that be ‘overdosing’? Could I take the rice bran instead of the PRL Daily Multi (since you mentioned it could act as a multi-vitamin)? Basically, with these 2 supplements, is it one OR the other or can they be taken in unison? Thanks!

Reply lauren October 31, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I would suggest taking them in unison. The daily multi definitely has a broader spectrum of nutrients, but the rice bran is especially high in Vitamin E which I think is a very important vitamin for overall health. Not to mention the rice bran tastes amazing, so its an easy addition.

• Reply Daily Ingredient: Kale | juicygreenaura November 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm

[…] Killer Kale Smoothie from The Holy Kale […]

• Reply Danny November 13, 2012 at 2:25 am

Hello Lauren, I have been trying to change my diet around and add more leafy greens such as kale and spinach; however, I stumbled upon this website right after reading your (this) post on kale smoothies.

I would love if you could take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Here it is:

• Reply Danny November 13, 2012 at 2:27 am

If the link does not work just google “kale smoothies” and it should be the first one.

Reply lauren November 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

HI Danny, Oxalates are found in green leafy vegetables, but unless you have issues with your kidneys, then I would not be concerned. The amount that you would have to eat daily to cause any issues would be more than the common person consumes, and your body should be able to process them just fine. The only time I tell people to be careful of foods with oxalates is if they have kidneys issues, and if they have had kidney stones that were composed of oxalates. Other than that I do not have any concerns about it.

• Reply 54 Healthy Smoothie Recipes to Make Right Now | Greatist November 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm

[…] Killer Kale Kale can definitely be a bit bitter, so this mixture will taste best with a very ripe banana. The leafy green is a great low-cal source of fiber, […]

• Reply Jack November 28, 2012 at 1:48 am

Do you know if pureed Kale has the same nutritional value as eating it whole?

Reply lauren November 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hi Jack, pureed kale does since it is the whole vegetable. The only time kale has less nutritional value is if it is conventional, or cooked.

• Reply Healthy, Delicious Smoothies! - Running Tips 101 December 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm

[…] Kale Kale can definitely be a bit bitter, so this mixture will taste best with a very ripe banana. The leafy green is a great low-cal source of fiber, […]

• Reply Courtney January 29, 2013 at 5:04 am

Hi there – I am new to the kale bandwagon, but happily joining the ride :). I was wondering if you have ever steamed the kale before putting in the smoothie? Does that increase the nutritional value? Also, when using raw kale, do you tear it up into the measuring cup and pack it like brown sugar to measure it? Or just toss it in to the measuring cup? I was a little confused and it makes a huge difference in the amount of kale 🙂
    Thanks so much!!

• Reply Courtney January 29, 2013 at 5:05 am

Also, do you use the stems in the smoothie?

Reply lauren January 30, 2013 at 3:10 pm

No, definitely take the stems off. If you are juicing, then you can use the stems.

Reply lauren January 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I would not steam the kale. In a smoothie, that would change the taste. While steaming vegetables is most certainly the best way to cook them in terms of preserving their nutrients, even then some are lost. Therefore, consuming it raw is best, but even more than that, it tastes WAY better in a smoothie. In terms of a cup, I would typically just grab a large hand full of cut up kale and throw it in. I am not huge on measurements and really like the kale taste, so you will have to play around with it to see what suits you best. Good Luck!!

• Reply 10 Easy Ways to Eat More Kale | Growing Kale At Home March 15, 2013 at 4:41 am

[…] Smoothies are all the craze now, and you can make them out of pretty much anything you have on hand.  Some can admittedly be disgusting, but amazingly healthy for you.  Others can be so delicious that you’d want to have them for every meal.  There are no shortage of kale smoothie recipes on the Internet, so here is a just a sample of what you can throw together to make a tasty vegetable drink: try blending banana, blueberry and kale with some milk and ice cubes!  Or, try this Killer Kale Smoothie. […]

• Reply 40 Delicious & Easy Ways to Eat More Vegetables Every Day | The Health Sessions June 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm

[…] a simple green smoothie with kale, banana and almond […]

• Reply Jennifer June 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I will like to make this smothie but my husband is diabetic type 1. Do you now the carbs count for this smothie? Thank you!

Reply lauren June 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Hi Jennifer, unfortunately i do not. You can always just make substitutes!

• Reply terry martin June 23, 2013 at 2:45 am

The name is perfect. Between the banana, almond milk, almond butter and bee pollen it is a killer. I want to live healthier but have yet to find a kale smoothie recipe I can drink. Is all that essential?

Reply lauren June 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Sure is! Delicious!!

• Reply Pomegranate Basil Sparkling Cocktail August 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

[…] know how much I love a new smoothie […]

• Reply The Inevitable Post about Kale… | Greenwordchef's Blog March 14, 2014 at 6:14 am

[…] The ubiquitous term ‘superfood’ is thrown around quite a bit, along with smoothie after smoothie after smoothie.  And why […]

• Reply 18 Energy Boosting Smoothie Recipes - Cloud b March 25, 2014 at 8:05 pm

[…] Killer Kale Smoothie […]

• Reply Ern April 15, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Awesome, Im going to try this recipe today.Thanks…

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale April 18, 2014 at 3:28 pm

• Reply 54 Healthy Smoothies for Any Occasion | Looky KC September 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm

[…] Killer Kale Kale can definitely be a bit bitter, so this mixture will taste best with a very ripe banana. The leafy green is a great low-cal source of fiber, […]

• Reply Healthy Smoothies part 1Shine Begho September 29, 2014 at 10:51 am

• Reply 54 Healthy Smoothies for Any Occasion | Denver October 16, 2014 at 6:59 pm

• Reply 41 Supremely Tasty and Healthy Smoothie Recipes December 19, 2014 at 8:36 pm

[…] Kale is the new super food, and it’s here in abundance with this supremely healthy and delicious smoothie recipe. […]

• Reply 54 Healthy Smoothies for Any Occasion - Perfect Your Lifestyle October 17, 2015 at 8:02 pm

[…] 24. Killer Kale […]

• Reply 54 Healthy Smoothies for Any Occasion | Next UX Web October 28, 2015 at 2:08 pm

[…] 24. Killer Kale […]