Breakfast, Raw, Recipes, Smoothies and Juices, Snacks, Superfoods

Banana Beet Smoothie

THK Banana Beet Smoothie

“The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity. Beets are deadly serious.”– Tom Robbins

While Green Smoothies are all the craze and I do love a green smoothie as much as the next guy, sometimes a girl just needs to mix it up! This creation was born out of my abnormal love, or rather obsession, with carrot and beet juice. The silkiness blended with the sweet is more than enough to quench my unrelenting sweet tooth, while keeping me feeling energized and hydrated. Sometimes I call it my crack juice because I honestly feel as though I have a true addiction… and I am completely basing this off the fact that I check the palms of my hands daily for the possible emergence of orange-tinted skin. I will keep you posted to let you know if that actually happens…

So while the green vegetables are loaded with minerals, vitamins and chlorophyll, there is A LOT to say about our finer friends of the root family. Being the base of all the leafy parts of the vegetable, they hold the most energy in the form of sugars which are imperative for all brain functioning. So when you pair this fabulous combination with all the other goodies I have thrown into this concoction, you have got yourself a super powered smoothie which can actually act as a full meal.

Okay, enough build up. Here are the goodies!

Rainbow of Carrots!

beets by Lara Ferroni

Teach us Something!

Okay, okay! I know you are all here dying to learn more about health and nutrition, so today lets take a good look at our friend the beet.

Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin are the two best-studied betalains from beets, and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. Betalains can actually support liver detoxification by aiding in Phase II detoxification, which is vital to keeping our bodies toxin-free. So eating plenty of beets actually help to cleanse your body on a daily basis.

• Support Liver Detoxification – Perfect Daily Cleanser
  • Shown to have an Anti-Tumor Effect
  • Maintain a Healthy Nervous System, especially the eye
  • Anti-Inflammatory Effect – COX 1 and COX 2 inhibitors
  • Antioxidant Rich! – Cancer and Disease Preventative!
  • Excellent for Heart Health, Diabetes and other Inflammatory Conditions
  • Rich in Iron, Vitamin C, Manganese, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Folate – Excellent for blood, muscles, nerves, tissue, skin, bones and pregnant mothers
One More Fun Fact: This smoothie contains RAW beet juice. These very delicate nutrients in the beet are actually very susceptible to damage especially by heat, so drinking or eating them raw is going to give you the biggest nutrient boost. So go forth and drink some down!

Warning: if you have any aversion to healthy food, juice and smoothies, you may in fact LOVE this drink. It by no means tastes particularly healthy, but do not be fooled because it is!

≈ For more healthy living tipsrecipes and inspiration please subscribe to this blog on the top left of the homepage, follow me on Twitter, on Pinterest and  Join the THK health conversation on Facebook!

♥ Your Fellow Beet Lover!
L

• Reply Lindsay Loves Veggies June 15, 2012 at 4:45 am

I love this idea! I’ve rarely used fresh juice in smoothies, but this is a fantastic idea! Thanks! 🙂

Reply lauren June 15, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Thanks!! Ya, once you have been juicing for awhile you tend to want to go a bit further….

• Reply Angie June 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Do you use the beet greens in there too? I have always been afraid to add anything but carots and apples to beets when I juice them. I just recently switched it up to beet, carrot, orange and I’m hooked! Can’t wait to try this smoothie!

Reply lauren June 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hey Angie, I actually do not use the beet greens because of the high levels oxalic acid. While not really harmful in small amounts, in larger amounts they can contribute to kidney stone formation. Plus, I tend to like kale, spinach, or arugula for my greens.

• Reply Claudia June 18, 2012 at 9:33 am

Thank you for sharing! I am new to juicing , but very excited to try new receipes!

• Reply Caroline June 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm

This was the first smoothie I’ve tried from your recipes…UH-mazing and extremely filling. I can’t wait to make it again!
    I hope to see more smoothie recipes 🙂

Reply lauren June 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I know it’s amazing how vege juice and protein go together!!

• Reply elise July 28, 2012 at 5:44 pm

WOW I stumbled on this recipe using a google search for “beet smoothie” and thank goodness I did!! It was absolutely delicious! I don’t have ginger at the moment but I made a beet/carrot/lemon juice first then added the other ingredients.

This was my first time using beets in an at-home smoothing and I’m thrilled with the results. I peeled them first (just bought them at the farmer’s market this morning) – do you peel them as well?

Reply lauren July 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Yes I know! Somehow it goes together amazingly. Yep – I peel the carrots and I peel the beets. I think it gives it a cleaner flavor, and I like to make sure that there is no dirt or anything left behind.

• Reply Anna April 28, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Waiting for my vitamix to arrive, just ordered it and so excited! Wondering if the separate juicing step is important or if u couldn’t just throw it all in the vitamix?

Reply lauren April 29, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Congrats!! The separate step is really important for the taste of this smoothie. Beets blended completely change the game, but if you do not have a juicer, you could always give it a shot and see how it is!

• Reply #VeggieYourDay October Challenge WEEK 2: BEETS | get motivated October 7, 2013 at 2:01 pm

[…] Cherry Beet Detox Banana Beet Smoothie Beet ‘n Berry Smoothie Sweet Beet Smoothie OJ Beet and Strawberry […]

• Reply Aurelia September 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I am allergic to raw beets, but I put cooked beets in my smoothie. You said beets are good for diabetes. Does that include cooked beets as well as raw. I also put a banana in the smoothies.

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale September 30, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Absolutely! Try steaming them if that works for you 🙂

• Reply Recipe For Beet Juice Smoothie | I Make Good Food September 22, 2014 at 6:40 pm

[…] Banana Beet Smoothie | The Holy Kale – This creation was born out of my abnormal love, or rather obsession, with carrot and beet juice. … I hope to see more smoothie recipes . Reply. lauren. June 24, 2012. I know it’s amazing how vege juice and protein go together!! Reply. elise. July 28, 2012. […]

• Reply Paul Adeoti May 6, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Hello, I was searching for articles on the combination of Kale+Banana+Beet and strawberry?. What are the nutritional benefits and effects on high blood pressure. Will this smoothie not be too loaded?
    Thanks

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale June 1, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Hi Paul, the foods that adversely affect blood pressure are those high in refined salt (sodium), fried foods, fatty foods (high in bad fats like margarine, and processed foods. Therefore, this smoothie would be fine to drink 🙂