dairy free cheese recipes
Appetizers, Raw, Recipes, Snacks, Taste

Dairy-free Alternatives Guide

To all of you out there who have taken the plunge (or acting looking to) and have eliminated dairy, this is for you! A complete guide of dairy alternatives for all of you who still dream of the better days when cheese and other delicious dairy-based items were part of your life.

I have been dairy-free for about 10 years now, which all began from my terrible inability to digest lactose (also known as lactose-intolerance). After much research into the dairy field, my choice to be dairy-free goes far beyond my once inability to digest it (I actually can at this point), and is now constructed based on the fact that conventional dairy (and even many organic sources) are unsuitable for human health.

Before all of you respond in a flurry of dispute about raw dairy, this is absolutely NOT a commentary on raw dairy, which is in itself an entirely DIFFERENT food all together. This post is about finding a healthy (and delicious) alternative to conventional and pasteurized dairy, which is now laden with unmentionables (pus), antibiotics, growth hormones, and other toxins.

So before we get all riled up, yes, I am very aware that dairy elimination is a HUGE emotional trigger, I want to make it clear that this post is about finding JOY and LOVE in your NEW choices, all that involves the sensory delights that you once relished in upon indulging in dairy.

Raw Pizza with “Cheese”

Please utilize this guide as your go-to for all your dairy-free needs, and feel free to present it to anyone who challenges you with the fact that life is just not as grand without dairy. These alternatives are often embraced with so much adulation, you may forget that conventional dairy products ever existed. Besides… now you can have your cake and eat it too – beautiful and radiant health paired with unmatched culinary pleasures. Also please check out the amazing recipe post by G0lubka on soft cheeses – packed with additional delights!

Dairy-free Alternatives Guide

The best thing about this guide is that the majority of the cheeses have very similar ingredients, making this process very affordable and efficient. If you are ready to truly commit yourself, then I also HIGHLY recommend the book, Artisan Vegan Cheese. This has many more advanced recipes, especially for “aged” cheeses, which are perfect for a dinner party and will most certainly fool any unknowing guest 🙂

• Reply Lindsay Loves Veggies June 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm

What an incredible, informative post!!! I love all the recipes for faux-dairy treats! I completely agree about the problems with real dairy, but I love cheeses so much, so I’m excited to try out some of the alternatives you listed!

• Reply Dayveon June 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Oh cheese oh cheese… Oh how I Love cheese but I do eat more veggies than anything else! 🙂

• Reply RawGuru June 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

What an awesome recipe compilation!!!! Wow, i’m seriously impressed. Who needs dairy products when you can make raw vegan versions of everything that taste even better and will leave you feeling great as well! Wonderful resource, thank you for posting. : )

• Reply Ali June 23, 2012 at 12:26 am

Lauren this is outstanding! I havnt found such a useable and comprehensive guide any where else. Awesome.

Reply lauren June 23, 2012 at 1:36 am

Fabulous!! I was hoping it was going to be useful!!

• Reply Mary @ Fit and Fed June 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Wow, so comprehensive! This is a great post. I’m glad you included pine nuts as an alternative in a lot of the recipes that have cashew. I can’t have cashew, and so many of the vegan cheeses and creams are made from cashew. The coconut yogurt looks really good, too, and I happen to have a bunch of young coconuts that I picked up on sale at the Asian grocery, this will be a good project!

• Reply Lisa @ The Raw Serenity June 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Great post!
    I have never liked milk and the way it makes me feel so being vegan and giving it up was the best thing I’ve ever done!
    It’s sad that people don’t realize and don’t want to be aware of the nasties that goes into milk!
    Thanks again x

Reply lauren June 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Agreed! By simply eliminating dairy, I have seen my clients make so many improvements especially with digestive, skin and hormone issues.

• Reply Trish June 25, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Great list! I’ve been trying to eliminate dairy for years. I’m done with milk but I’ve been unable to find suitable substitutes for cheese and yogurt. I feel all store bought varieties so processed with so many weird ingredients that I would rather eat the real thing. I’ll definitely be back to try some of the cheese recipes. Thanks!

Reply lauren June 25, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Couldn’t agree more…. all those almond, soy etc cheeses just don’t feel like real food. As much as they might appear healthy, too many additives. And as long as you get in a rhythm it really is not hard!

• Reply Serene July 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Loving this post! While I am not vegan per se, I love cooking with alternative methods, and I keep dairy at a minimum. I will absolutely be sharing this clients who are interested in dairy alternatives. And I’m going home and making some “ice cream”!

Reply lauren July 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Awesome Serene!! The Ice Cream is one of my favorites!

• Reply Gwyneth November 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Wow, thanks for this. I found your Site while searching for interesting sites to prove to my dietitian friend that there is protein in romaine lettuce. Her training is 30 years old. I explained that people used to think the world was flat too! I am winning her over I think. I just keep feeding her food like this!

Reply lauren November 10, 2012 at 1:02 am

Awesome! glad to be a resource for you 🙂

• Reply Vegan ‘goat cheese’ January 27, 2013 at 7:27 am

[…] starter on hand. For further reading and recipes, check out Golubka’s soft cheese plate, The Holy Kale’s Dairy Lover’s Guide, and Spabettie’s Vegan Goat […]

• Reply The Wheel’s Still in Spin, Part 1 | Soil Seed Soul May 1, 2014 at 12:02 am

[…] and how dairy should fit into your diet.  Definitely my #1 book recommendation for everyone! The Holy Kale Vegan Dairy Lover’s Guide – If you have never heard of this website, do yourself a favor and devote an hour or so to […]