healthy food for the kidneys
Dinner, Lunch, Recipes

Tahini, Goji Berry, Kale with Black Rice

I have been creating so many beautiful salads this summer season and so often I get so carried away I forget to share them with you! Being The Holy Kale, I made a promise to create beautiful and tasty kale recipes so you can learn to enjoy this extremely nutrient-rich vegetable over and over again without getting bored. So this creation was a spin off of my typical massaged kale salad that I usually enjoy once a week or so for lunch. I think you will love this Tahini, Goji Berry, Kale with Black Rice salad as much as I do.

I also don’t want to forget mentioning black rice. Many of you most likely have not heard of or tried it yet, but this is hands down one of my most favorite grains to use. It has a really rich, nutty flavor that works really well to liven up any meal and it can even be used for desserts (think mixed in with coconut milk and mango). The black rice I buy is from Bhutan, which is on the eastern end of the Himalayas and borders India and China, and is an heirloom variety. Extremely high in a class of flavonoid antioxidants called anthocyanins, which are a great anti-inflammatory, it is also rich in iron. According to Chinese herbal medicine, it is even considered to be a blood tonifier and purifier, which made it the primary choice of emperors. Yumm!

Bhutan Monks in Rice Fields by chanlieu

• Reply Elenore Bendel Zahn August 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm

ahh, looks so scrumptious! by looking at the list of ingredients for the dressing, feels like it could have been made by me. + I love black rice aswell!

Hugs!

Reply lauren August 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Virtual Food Date!

• Reply K November 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hey Lauren,

I have made many diet and lifestyle changes which I am happy to say. I am looking to find alternatives to drinking water NOT in plastic. Our house water is supplied with pvc lines and when you buy water it’s in plastic bottles. The filtration systems sold in stores are all plastic as well. The fridge has these expensive water filters which we replace often and again are plastic. I live in the country and am seriously considering removing the well cap and installing a crank with a wooden bucket to get the water from the well. I know that may sound crazy but I see no alternative. It is after all the way things used to be. What is your take on our water source and how to avoid the abundance of plastic.

Love the site,
    Kim

Reply lauren November 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Hi Kim. That would be a great idea to tap into your well although I would be sure to get the water tested as some well water can have contaminated. But with that being said, natural resources that are local are always the best option. If you are looking for a house system, I recommend Reverse Osmosis systems.

• Reply hannah November 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This looks amazing! What is the difference taste-wise between raw tahini and roasted tahini? I’ve always wondered!
    Thanks
    Hannah x

Reply lauren November 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Raw is going to be better since the nutrients of seeds (as well as nuts) are damaged when heated. Fats in nuts and seeds are not very stable and are sensitive to heat. Therefore, if you roast them, it causes them to be oxidized, rancid, which is not good for the body.