Raw Coconut Almond Yogurt
Breakfast, Raw, Recipes, Snacks

Raw Coconut Almond Yogurt

The past month has been a whirlwind of change for me (hence the infrequent posts), and I have had to really nail down a certain survival tactic in order to hold some sort of ground. During these times of change, it seems as though life just gets going so fast you hardly have time to keep up, and unfortunately your perfect life of routine, preparation and peace falls to the wayside. Therefore, I have really had to focus on relying on some staple recipes that will keep me fueled for the day, that are going to prevent me from making relatively bad food choices, which we all know is an easy pattern to fall into when life throws you a few curve balls.

My survival food: Raw Coconut Almond Yogurt.

Raw Coconut Almond Yogurt

THK Raw Coconut Yogurt

This yogurt takes a bit of thought, but if you can muster enough foresight to get it going then you will at least know you are eating one healthy meal a day, and in some crazy times of change, that means a lot.

I call this a yogurt, but in fact it is not made with a culture, but rather the addition of probiotic capsules. Since we are talking about survival food here, culturing yogurt is not on the menu, but rather its quick and easy cousin, that actually seems feasible during these transient times.

Raw Coconut Almond Yogurt

Peeled Almonds

• Reply Leticia September 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I love this recipe!!!
    Is there any problem with keeping the almonds unpeeled or is it just a matter of the color and overall yougurt aspect?
    The other thing for me is that I am not really sure I can find young coconuts over here. But we’ll see, this recipe makes me want to try and look for them!
    Thanks!

Reply lauren September 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I have thought about that, but have always peeled them to keep the consistency smooth and creamy. I imagine the skins will make it a bit more rough and bitter – but you could always try it! Hmmm… maybe you could order some online? I think a company called exotic superfoods sells coconut meat.

• Reply Elenore Bendel Zahn October 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I hope it´s ok that I add just a few words here? <3

The skin of almonds can irritate the intestinal membrane so if you know that you are sensitive in that area or if the diet of choice has been hard on your body it's a good thing to peel them.

Much love!

Reply lauren October 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm

You rock – LOVE this addition. So important to be conscious of how we act to food, especially because not everyone responds the same. In the end, we should be eating food that works with our body, and we happen to be all different!

• Reply Leticia October 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Elenore, thank you! I hope you don’t mind me bothering you with some follow up questions. I am just startind to adopt this healthy lifestile through food and I am not really sure of things or how my body works yet. What should I understand as sensitiveness (sp?) in the intestinal area? I have lots of gas and very irregular bowel movements, but hardly ever loose stools and my digestive system does not react imediately to changes in food. Should I worry about the almond peel then? Thank you so much and I love your blog too!!

Lauren, silly me with the coconut thing, I live in Brazil, so the companies that deliver frozen coconut meat don’t deliver here, yet there’s plenty of young cononuts available here! We call them green coconuts, so I guess it’s the same and I got lost in translation. I got a couple of them now, there’s not much meat but let’s see. And the probiotic capsules came in today, so we’ll have this wonderful yoghurt very soon!

Reply lauren October 7, 2012 at 12:27 am

All the better Leticia, the young green coconuts will be perfect! I wish we had access to fresh ones here. I bet your version will be amazing! As for the almond skins, it is always best to peel them off. Takes a bit of time but if you make a large batch for the week, its worth it!

• Reply Anna September 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm

thank you for lovely recipe! How long can the yoghurt be stored in the fridge?
    Will be making it tonight 🙂
    lots of love from Hamburg

Reply lauren September 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hi Anna,
      Absolutely – it keeps for quite awhile in the refrigerator… that is if you can keep yourself from eating it all up!

• Reply Janine September 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Can you use some of this as a starter for the next batch or do you need to start from scratch each time?

Reply lauren October 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Because we are not fermenting the yogurt for long, I do not think the culture will be strong enough to use for another batch.

• Reply Elenore Bendel Zahn October 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Sweetest darling!

You are so right.. these are most certainly times of change. 2012 has been and is such a ride and i’m constantly reminded of the need to let go of structured plans and such).

Funny thing is this: since I got home from France two weeks ago I have really had the need to nurture myself and taking as much time off as I can. You know what I have relyed on? Raw Oatghurt. Isnt that funny!?

So much love to you my dear friend!

Reply lauren October 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

This is because we are TWINS! Across the sea, but still so close.

• Reply Felicia October 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I love this! It’s a must try. Thank you!! xF

• Reply Candace Hendrick October 30, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Recipe looks fabulous. Hope things are turning a little more sun-shiney for you!

Reply lauren October 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm

They are! Thank you. Just starting to get back my rhythm and groove 🙂

• Reply Amanda January 19, 2013 at 4:40 am

Yum! Since getting dairy out of my diet, I have struggle with missing a quick yogurt snack with a couple berries and seeds. I have worked hard to not buy processed dairy free yogurts from the store, this option was fast, sooo tasty and cheaper too! Thanks so much, this is a delicious treat!

Reply lauren January 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I completely agree! Once I figured out how to make coconut yogurt, the whole game changed. Since growing up on yogurt, it was always something I missed! Until now….

• Reply Andrea January 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Great post and alternative to dairy yogur. I was wondering how many cups of yogur you get out of these recipe so to calculate the nutritional info. Thanks!

Reply lauren January 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Hmmm I it was not exact, but I would say about 3 cups.

• Reply Gwen October 1, 2013 at 5:48 am

Hi, I’ve tried making some of this before seeing this recipe and it always comes out like ricotta cheese. Is that just the way it is, or will it really become a the exact, creamy texture of yogurt? I’ve even tried straining the pulp out, but then it just never thickens right and is basically just a thick almond milk. I am SO discouraged and have no idea what I’m doing 🙁

Reply lauren October 1, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Hi Gwen, how are you mixing it? Are you using a high speed blender like a Vitamix? That is most likely your issue.

• Reply Gwen October 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm

No, I’m not. It’s just a regular ol’ blender. If I use a Vitamix, will it be creamy? Or will there still be some texture to it?

• Reply kate July 22, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Just for fun, i decided to try to find a recipe that was close to the one i was dreaming in my head….soaked, peeled almonds, a young coconut, and probiotic. and Viola. Here it is. so many of the ones I googled use CANNED coconut milk. and they claim it to be raw. Not. I’m preparing to skin my almonds and crack that coconut right away. Thank you…and keep it raw, I saw. ,

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale July 22, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Awesome Kate! So glad you found it. Peeling the almonds can be a bit tedious, but it is DEFINITELY worth the extra effort. Let me know how it turns out!

• Reply Brad October 8, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Can culturized raw coconut almond yogurt be stored in the freezer?

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale October 13, 2016 at 2:35 pm