5 Ways to Detox Daily
I am back! Yes I know, you all missed me so very much and couldn’t seem to live without my weekly health updates.
For all of you who have been following me, I appreciate your loyalty to me while I was out and about facing life changes. Over the past few months my life has taken some interesting twists and turns, leaving me to lose my typical grounded nature and life flow. Hence the infrequent posts and blog love.
As a creature of habit and structure, I have been facing new challenges that has forced new growth and I have come to find it to be such a blessing. While I had mastered a internally peaceful life in organization, I had yet to master it in chaos… Hello Universe!
One passage that has really helped me along the way is the following from Eckhart Tolle:
Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you have chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously change your life.
Once you can accept, you can then move forward. Without acceptance, there is only resistance, and there is no growth or change in that. Therefore, once I was able to accept my situation, I was able to start recollecting myself and discover a new way of holding onto my inner peace.
Once I found internal stability, I was able to start working on the physical body, which for me entailed what I call daily detoxes. These are the top 5 detoxification practices that I use as a way to offset my less-than-perfect lifestyle when I just cannot seem to keep the diet, exercise and stress levels under wraps. Yes, we have ALL been there at some point in time… Therefore, if you have had to jump into survival mode, are relying on coffee, chocolate and sweets to stay afloat, work in a few of these practices daily to keep your health in check. Because even if we are running on stimulants, we can still keep ourselves from getting sick, and from doing too much damage to this sweet body of ours.
1. Oil Pulling: Oil pulling is an Ayruvedic practice of pulling cold-pressed oil (like sesame oil) through your teeth for 10 minutes in the morning. The idea is that the oil is supposed to stimulate the eliminatory system while “pulling” bacteria and toxins out of the saliva. You then proceed to spit the oil and toxins out, causing a cleansing effect for the whole body, not just the mouth. To learn more go here.
2. Nasal Irrigation with a Neti Pot: The Neti Pot works by passing saline water through the nasal passages and its finely tuned hairs (cilia) as well as the maxillary and ethmoid sinuses. This process clears inhaled foreign objects including dust, fragrances, pollen, air pollution and chemical residue, and allows the nasal filters to operate efficiently. As a result, it prevents toxins from becoming trapped in the sinus cavity or ingested into the body, thus preventing infection, congestion and restricted breathing. Furthermore, they actually say that if you do this overtime, you may be able to widen your nasal passage, therefore improving your overall ability to breath. Great for you yogis out there! To learn more go here.
3. Castor Oil Pack: Castor oil packs are one of my most favorite techniques that I believe should be a part of everyone’s health regime. Castor oil packs are used to improve the body’s elimination, lymphatic circulation, and assimilation of nutrients. By using castor oil packs, the flow of lymph is increased throughout the body. This helps to speed the removal of toxins surrounding the cells and to reduce the size of swollen lymph nodes. The end result is pronounced, systemic improvement in organ function with a general lessening of fatigue, aches and pains. This is an ideal remedy for areas of chronic pain or inflammation, sore or stiff joints, menstrual cramps, amoeba parasitic infection or skin ailments. But a secret of mine is to use them over your kidneys to increase energy, and over your liver/gallbladder to improve digestion and to calm the mood. This is an easy practice to do at night while you are watching T.V. or reading. To learn more go here.
4. Dry Brushing: This is not just so we can have super baby soft skin (but yes, a HUGE plus), dry brushing actually removes the top layer of dead skin therefore eliminating any lingering toxins. Dry brushing opens the pores for more effective elimination while increasing cell renewal (new cells, youthful appearance!). The process of dry brushing stimulates circulation and the lymphatic system for more efficient transfer of nutrients and removal of waste at the cellular level for full body health. So the more you brush, the more your cells will actually be able to receive the nutrients from all that wonderful food you are eating. But that is not it! Dry brushing has even been shown to stimulate the movement of toxins out of adipose (fat) tissue for reduction of cellulite. Okay, sold. To learn more go here.
5. Tongue Scraping: Not as scary as it sounds, tongue scraping is actually a part of Ayurvedic tradition used to detoxify the mouth. It will help dislodge bacteria, food deposits and other impurities, which cause an unhealthy coating on the surface of your tongue and are later re-absorbed into the blood stream each time you eat or drink. Ick. Therefore, by using a tongue scraper daily, it is thought that you will reduce your overall level of toxicity while maintaining a healthy immune system. Not to mention you will be sure to improve your breath, keep your teeth healthier, shinier and whiter. Move over Altoid! To learn more go here – your significant other will thank you 🙂
That is all my friends! Take this and run with it, I promise it will make a difference no matter what life challenges you are facing at this point.
And yes, this will continue to be a regular thing… the blog love I mean.
≈ For more healthy living tips, recipes and inspiration please subscribe to this blog on the top left of the homepage, follow me on Twitter, on Pinterest and Join the THK health conversation on Facebook!