kale cleansing juice
Food, Nutrition Tips, Protocols and Detox, Raw, Recipes, Smoothies and Juices, Vitamins and Minerals

Kale Cleansing Juice Recipe

“If I were to start adding one healthy thing to my diet daily, what would that be?

There you go. The most common question I receive, which I will answer with the Kale Cleansing Juice recipe.

Since we are all now on our healthy juice kick and off to a great start in this fabulous new year, I thought it would be helpful to share with you all my favorite cleansing green juice recipe. While diversity is always the healthiest path, sometimes sticking to one go-to proves to be the most effective. Create a habit, and stick to it. Therefore, if you are looking for one thing to add into your diet to boost your immune system, cleanse out the old cob webs while alkalizing the body for a disease-free and glowing existence, this is it. The Kale Cleansing Juice recipe.

kale cleansing juice

Kale Cleansing Juice

So, why is this juice going to turn me into a Glowing, Healthy, Disease-fighting Machine?

The Health Breakdown:

Lemon – stimulates bile, therefore pushing toxins out of the liver for full clearance. In addition, they contain limonoids, which have been shown to help fight cancers of the mouth, skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon.

Pineapple – containing the specialized enzyme bromelain, which is a protease enzyme, these guys have an anti-inflammatory effect, and have also shown to clear up pathogenic material in the body.

Kale – part of the infamous cruciferous family, kale has off the chart levels of Vitamin A, K and C, and antioxidants. No wonder it has been shown to have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory benefits!

Parsley – containing extremely unique volatile oils, parsley has now shown to be chemoprotective, while also protecting our very DNA from damage. Containing iron and folate, it also is known to be ideal for pregnant mothers.

Cucumber – cucumbers have not received as much press as other vegetables in terms of health benefits, but their importance lies in their lignan content. Lignans have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease as well as several cancer types, including breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate cancers.

Ginger – renown for its intestinal benefits, ginger is the go-to for reducing gas, relieving nausea, eliminating motion sickness, while relaxing and soothing the intestinal tract.

Fresh Ginger!

Apple Cider Vinegar – while long used as a folk remedy, apple cider vinegar seems to actually live up to the hype. Improving diabetes and cholesterol levels and aiding in weight loss, just an ounce a day is an excellent addition to your juices.

Mint – an obvious addition for its flavor and its tummy-soothing benefits, the essential oils found in mint also stops the growth of many different bacteria and fungus.

Unheated Sea Salt – salt is an essential for all cleansing drinks because it contains a wide range of minerals needed by the body to move toxins, especially in the lymph. In addition, unheated sea salt is needed for hcl (hydrochloric acid) production in the stomach, our natural disinfectant.

Aloe Vera – a succulent that contains many healing properties such as soothing the skin and the digestive track. It is the most beneficial nutrient for the skin on the inside and out. It is a natural anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral. Aloe Vera is rich in vitamins A, B12, and E, as well we the minerals calcium and magnesium. It is also a source of essential fatty acids and enzymes. Aloe is ideal for any intestinal disorder (chrons, IBS, acid reflux) due to its ability to heal the intestinal lining as well as skin disorders (eczema, rashes, burns).

Apple – although a sweet fruit, apples contain phytonutrients that regulate blood sugar, making them an ideal addition to any juice. In addition, they contain pre-biotics, which feed the healing bacteria in the large intestine.

Well there you go! Your first step towards an awesome and healthy 2013, filled with nutrient-dense, age-defying, health practices.

• Reply Marie January 20, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Would this work well as a smoothie? I don’t have a juicer but this sounds delicious!

• Reply Jennifer January 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

Hi Marie! I like making smoothies similar to Lauren’s Kale Kleanse juice, so it’s definitely possible if you add (coconut)water to the recipe. However, in my experience, the texture of kale and apple is quite harsh or chewy when you blend them instead of juicing. Experiment with your own smoothie version?

• Reply 4virtu January 22, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Happy Tasty Tuesday! We love this recipe and it is featured on our Kale Recipe Round-Up this week! Thank you for sharing!

Reply lauren January 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Oh thank you! It is one of my favorites!

• Reply Nigel January 30, 2013 at 6:44 pm

This post is right on time because I was thinking of going on a juice feast for a week and I was looking for a staple juice to use. This juice sounds great! I like the additions of ginger and aloe, items I haven’t juiced before. My question… so this is the recipe for the juice, now what is your recommended “protocol” to achieve a cleanse? How often should one drink this, at what times per day, what else should a person be eating and not eating? Any guidance will be much appreciated!

Reply lauren January 31, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Hi Nigel, Congrats on your decision to do a cleanse!! I actually have put together a juice detox cleanse which you can find here: http://www.theholykale.com/2012/01/recharge-the-thk-juice-detox/ this should provide you with all the information you are looking for. Good Luck!

• Reply Nigel February 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Thanks, Lauren!

After doing about 5 days of my type of juice fast/cleanse I just had my cholesterol checked, and I’m super excited. This morning it was 158, down from a high of 210 last year. Green veggies make all the difference!!

• Reply Rich Donahue January 31, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Holy Kale! Great recipe. I can’t wait to try it. I’m going to embark on another 24 hour juice fast next week, after the Super Bowl of course and I’ll use this one. Thanks for the recipe. Best wishes.

• Reply Elise February 1, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Holy yum! This now has a spot high atop my “favorites” list! I don’t have a juicer, but I blended all the ingredients in my Vitamix with a cashew milk base. I love the tartness from the ACV and ginger, and I added maca powder and hemp seeds for an extra boost. This was so refreshing for my daily morning smoothie, thanks Lauren!

• Reply Mariel February 20, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Hi!!! Pretty new to your site, really like it! How much does one serving of this recipe make?? 2 cups?

Reply lauren February 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Yes, about 2 cups or a large glass. I drink the whole thing myself 🙂

• Reply » Thoughtful Thursday Kibby's Blended Life February 21, 2013 at 5:22 pm

[…] ♥ Kale Kleanse Juice Recipe – I ADORE Kale!!  Here’s a fantastic way to get this beautiful GREEN into your diet and into your body so that it can deliver kick-ass nutrients throughout your system. […]

• Reply Rich February 22, 2013 at 5:15 pm

great recipe! just wondering if u juice your kale and parsley and mint with your breville 900 watt centrifugal and get good output or do u juice them in another way?

Reply lauren February 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I juice the kale and parsley together, and I do add the mint, although the mint flavor doesn’t come through as much. I have been trying other ways to juice the mint to get a better output.

• Reply Royce February 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Love this recipe, it tastes great. I was wondering – How long should I keep this in the fridge for? I made a few portions as to not have to continually juice stuff, so I just wanted to make sure it won’t go bad. Thanks!

Reply lauren February 25, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Hi Royce, well the short answer is about 2 days, but the long answer is that it depends on how much nutrients you want to get out of the juice. Once you juice any fruits or vegetables, they start to degrade. Meaning that the juice is now exposed to oxygen and therefore the nutrients begin to decline. Juice will have the highest nutritional value right after you juice it, and most likely will keep its high nutrient content for about 3 hours if refrigerated. This is based on a typical juicer. If you have a hydraulic press juicer, then the juice maintains its nutrient content for up to 3 days. Therefore, my advice would be to make bags of all the juice ingredients you need for each day and juice it fresh every morning. This really doesn’t take more than 10 minutes. If you don’t have time, then really shoot for juicing fresh every other day.

• Reply How I Learned to Tell Time the Female Way | Ginesthoi: Make It Happen March 9, 2013 at 4:54 am

[…] for its probiotic benefits, and juicing raw fruits and veggies for their nutrients.  I got my juice recipe from my favorite website The Holy Kale, and I drink a version of it almost everyday.  My juice […]

• Reply Songwriter March 18, 2013 at 7:40 pm

When putting the lemon through the juicer do you leave the rind on?…—Also the Pineapple should be trimmed I assume?…..—-Also If I decided to add an orange would that be OK?….rind and all?

Reply lauren March 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I peel all citrus. It is much easier on the juicer and if you do not have organic produce, then you are going to get the pesticides, herbicides etc. in the juice. On the other hand, the peels do have some health benefits although it will make it much more bitter. As for the pineapple – definitely trim.

• Reply Songwriter March 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I used a juicer and got what I thought was too much pulp that just got thrown away. So the second batch I used a blender. It got so thick that it would not mix well. So I used extra pineapple juice to thin it so I could mix it better and drink it. I am considering using apple juice or cider to do the same next batch, does that hurt anything? What is the most important kidney cleansing ingredient in this mixture? Is there any reason I couldn’t add grapes as well?….they Sweeten to offset the rind bitterness. I don’t want to go too far away from the recipe, but also want it plitable and drinkable with the blender. Any suggestions?

Reply lauren March 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I would most certainly juice this recipe. Making a smoothie with these ingredients is possible, but you would have to have a high speed blender like a Vitamix. You also do not want the fiber in this recipe because that slows down the nutrient absorption. While fiber is very important in the diet due to its ability to improve digestion etc. we are not focusing on that aspect here. We want to get a quick transfer of the nutrients to elicit a cleansing effect. Therefore, stick to juicing. I would consider a new juicer if you are not getting the results you are looking for. Adding pre-made juice is not going to be ideal because it does not have the same cleansing effects as fresh juice, plus it typically contains preservatives and added sugars. Plus it is pasteurized which kills many beneficial nutrients.

• Reply Songwriter March 27, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I am using home canned apple sauce that came from my son’s orchard and has no pesticides or sprays and also I am using pureed pineapple to thin the mixture down. But I also get the point of less fiber, although that is good for me too in this instance as I have diabetes. Drinking this in a smoothie form also gets me really jittery or so I thought at first. But I realized that it gives me a lot of energy, I do like that. Thanks for such a wonderful, tasty well thought out blend!

• Reply All Natural Juice from Your Kitchen | Sweep Tight April 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm

[…] minerals and chemical-free, juicing from home is the way to go.  OMG…  I must try this Kale Kleanse Recipe PRONTO!   It’s sounds […]

• Reply Prof April 3, 2013 at 5:38 am

If there are no organic vegetables available what would be the best way to wash and juice?
    Thank you!

Reply lauren April 5, 2013 at 2:14 am

I would most certainly peel the skins of the produce if possible, if not purchase a produce vegetable wash. I have also heard that a product called Polar Mins by Premier Research Labs can also be extremely helpful in breaking the phosphate bonds in pesticides. You simply mix 1/8 polar mins with 7/8 water. Then simply spray on produce, wait 30 seconds and wash.

• Reply prof April 10, 2013 at 5:04 am

Thank yo so much for your reply. I appreciate it

• Reply For the love of Kale: Health Benefits and Recipes | The Sustainable Spot June 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

[…] Kale Kleanse Juice courtesy of The Holy Kale (all ingredients should be organic) 1 lemon 1/2 cup pineapple 1 bunch kale 1 bunch parsley 1/2 cucumber 2 inch piece of ginger 21 g of mint 2 ounce apple cider vinegar 1/8 tsp sea salt 1 tbsp aloe juice Share this:FacebookEmailLinkedInTwitterPinterestGoogle +1 antioxidants, baked kale chips, cancer-prevention, health benefits of kale, Healthy Living, healthy recipe, kale detox juice, kale recipes, kale salad, nutrition in kale, Seasonal produce calendar, vitamins in kale […]

• Reply beccah larsen September 2, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Hey Lauren…how often would you recommend the kale cleanse? Is this drink more of as daily cleanse where you would still eat compared to your recharge detox cleanse where you would go 3, 5 , 10 days of juicing? Thanks!

• Reply Ben April 21, 2014 at 3:31 am

Excellent information and very well presented. Thank you and please add me to your mailing list!

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale April 27, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Ben!

• Reply frankie April 25, 2014 at 1:04 pm

What is the best juicer to buy? And also, there are SO many types of VITAMIX’s can you recommend which model you use?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale April 27, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Hey Frankie my favorite juicer is the Breville 900-Watt because it is quite affordable and it makes juice really quickly. While it does not squeeze every ounce of juice out of the produce like a hydraulic press, it is fast. So if you have to make juice quickly, like I do in the morning, I think it is the best choice. As for the vitamix, I use the classic C series – this one here.

• Reply Kale Cleanse Juice Recipe | Clean, Lean and Healthy July 7, 2014 at 10:42 pm

[…] Kale Cleanse Juice Recipe – for a glowing, healthy disease fighting body. And a health breakdown on all the ingredients. Read More […]

• Reply Get ready for Spring Break! 7-Day Cleanse | February 24, 2015 at 12:06 pm

[…] Kale Kleanse Juice […]

• Reply Hello Weekend and Springing Forward | DRESSED TO A T March 6, 2015 at 2:24 pm

[…] Kale Kleanse Juice […]

• Reply How I Learned to Tell Time the Female Way | Soil Seed Soul May 14, 2015 at 12:21 pm

• Reply Get ready for Spring Break! 7-Day Cleanse - Naturily | Naturily December 12, 2015 at 10:48 pm

[…] Kale Kleanse Juice […]