green smoothie how to
Food, Nutrient Basics, Raw, Recipes, Smoothies and Juices, Snacks, Superfoods

Green Superfood Smoothie: A How To

When then universe gives you a sign, you listen, right?

Over the past few weeks I have had both friends and family asking me to help them create the perfect Green Smoothie. They wanted me to share with them not only the basics of getting started, but also those fun extra nutrients that I add to make it extra nutrient dense and healing. So here I am extending the love and sharing it all with you too.

The thing that I LOVE about green smoothies is that it can act as your daily vitamin. With one smoothie you can get all the nutrition you need for the day, and therefore no matter how the rest of the day goes (birthday cupcakes at work, margaritas at happy hour, or I am so tired take out dinner), you know you are covered. It is also my go-to technique to get those who are a bit health-shy or stubborn to get on board… I am thinking macho men, children, and unruly I hate life just because teenagers. Plus, depending on what your present health condition is, you can always add therapeutic superfoods to address them… I love that part.

green smoothie how to

green smoothie how to

Oh ya, one more thing… If you are trying to manage your weight this is an excellent way to do it. If you are trying to shed the pounds, use these as a meal replacement, and if you are trying to put on the pounds or build muscle, use this as a snack and/or pre or post work out drink.

Nut Milk by Suzie Banks

Step One: Smoothie Base

We can use a lot of different liquids as bases, and your choice depends on the flavor you are looking for, and/or how calorie dense you want it to be.

Choose one from the following:

• Purified Water – most neutral and creates a lower calorie smoothie
  • Nut Milk – I love making my own. A little higher in calories but makes the smoothie creamier
  • Coconut Milk (carton, not can) – great option for making it rich and a bit sweeter. Will add a few more calories, comparable to nut milk.

Dose: about 1 1/2 cups for a meal replacement, 1 cup for a snack

coconut 2 by bionicteaching

Step Two: Food Base

Now I personally only use a banana, and then use powders for the rest of the smoothie, but if you cannot afford the powders, then you can use more produce here. Your choices will be based on the flavor profile of the smoothie, but I ALWAYS recommend using a banana… makes for the best smoothie in my opinion. You can also use frozen produce if fresh is not available.

* Remember always go Organic when possible. We do not want to be drinking nasty chemicals that cause hormone imbalance and cancer.

Choose one or more of the following:

• Banana – the riper the better. Frozen also can make an interesting taste too.
  • Strawberries (have to be organic, one of the most pesticided foods)
  • Mango
  • Blueberries
  • Raspberries
  • Pineapple
  • Avocado – now this is an interesting one… it makes your smoothie extra rich and creamy. Great for those who are using this as a meal replacement or to help put on healthy weight.

Dose: around 1 cup of fruit, or 1 avocado/banana

Avocado Tree by Frank Shufelt

Step Three: The Green Factor

Now I personally use a Greens Powder (Greens Mix by Premier Research Labs) to get the most nutrients, but if you cannot afford a greens powder, you can use nutrient-dense green produce instead. Yes, don’t worry, you can do both too!

The greens are all about getting your vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, cleansing properties and chlorophyll. This is the BASE of awesome nutrition, and everything else we are adding is just an added benefit to the greens. So if you can only afford one extra superfood, then get a greens powder.

Choose one or more of the following:

Dose: If you are using produce, anywhere between 1 to 2 cups. If you are using a greens powder, anywhere between 1 tsp to 1-2 tbs.

Greens!

Step Four: Healthy Happy Fats

I cannot emphasize enough how vital healthy fats are to your health. Healthy fats are composed of Essential Fatty Acids (omega 3,6,9) – heavier on the omega 3 – monounsaturated fats and certain saturated fats. These fats do a myriad of things for your health ranging from being the building blocks of hormones, creating a healthy neurological system (happy mood, clear thinking and a sharp memory) to being the very nutrient that our cell membranes are made of. Without enough healthy fats, you face high levels of inflammation, depression, dry alligator skin etc.

Choose one or more from the following:

In order to get the full spectrum of healthy fats, I personally use the Hemp and Salba Seeds as well as the Coconut Butter.

Dose: 1 tbs is best.

Full of Hemp!

Step Five: Protein

As a vegan, protein is very important for me and so I make sure to include this everyday. In addition, if you are using this Greens Smoothie as a meal replacement as I do, you want to make sure that it is rich in protein as well. This keeps the smoothie balanced.

I personally do not recommend Soy because its Genetically Modified and it contains phytoestrogens that interrupt hormone balance.

Choose one or more of the following:

Step Six: Nutrient Specific Superfoods

Now the following are a great blend of various nutrients that you can add to your smoothie. I personally do a blend of the following depending on how I am feeling.

• Tocotrienols – High in Vitamin E and Glutathione (increases liver detoxification)
  • MSM – Perfect for building collagen, maintaining healthy joints, increases flexibility (good for yoga), hastens recovery time from sore muscles, and is excellent for recovery from athletic injuries. Also important for hair and nail growth.
  • Guarana – Natural adaptogen that provides great energy to the body without the normal caffeine jitters and racing heart.
  • Barley – Slow burning carbohydrate perfect for athletes and to stabilize blood sugars and lower cholesterol
  • Camu Camu – The highest Vitamin C content – perfect for boosting the immune system, fighting free radicals and supporting the adrenal glands
  • Colostrum Powder by Surthrival – Amazing for the immune system, contains healing sugars that support digestive function and contains MSM.
  • Maca Powder – A natural adaptogen helping the body to adapt to stress. Also is a natural hormone balancer. Increases energy and promotes a healthy sex drive.
  • Cacao – One of the foods richest in Magnesium (supports mood, muscles, sleep and bowel movements) and in Antioxidants. This is the real form of chocolate, no added sugars or milk.

Dose: 1 tsp to 1 tbs

Cacao Greens Shake

Step Seven: Spicing it Up!

Feel free to add any fun spices or flavorings here. Choose from the following based on what type of smoothie you are making:

Step Eight: Superfood Topping

Now here is the fun part. In order to make your smoothie just that much better, add some fun superfood toppings to your smoothie.

Superfood Topping

So that is it! Just throw the ingredients into a high speed blender and get smoothie making! I personally use and SWEAR by my Vitamix. It is worth every single penny, and no matter what other blenders I try it just does not seem to live up to what the Vitamix can do. Plus you can make soups, purees, nut butters, puddings and tons of other raw treats with it. So versatile!

If you are interested, click on the following picture and receive $25 OFF SHIPPING! Just a little Holy Kale thank you 🙂

Vitamix – Click for $25 OFF Shipping DISCOUNT

• Reply Lorraine Bianco April 23, 2013 at 12:59 am

Thanks for the tip. Can you recommend a good blender for liquifying the smoothies?

Reply lauren April 23, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I absolutely LOVE my Vitamix. Nothing works as well to blend and puree, and it can also be used to make sauces, dressings, soups etc. Check them out here: Vitamix

• Reply Shane Harley April 27, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I’ve heard only wonderful things about the Vitamix, but it’s a little out of my price range. I burned out a Nutribullet already and now I’m going to try the Ninja. They’ve got a 2+ hp one at Costco for under $150. I’ll let you know how it does.

Thanks for the great recipes and inspiration.

Shane Harley

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale June 1, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Hi Shane – you can also buy a refurbished Vitamix…they are quite a bit cheaper. Vitamix also does great deals for Black Friday (after Thanksgiving).

• Reply Jeff September 21, 2014 at 10:14 am

Vitamix is amazing!

• Reply Jennifer April 23, 2013 at 8:13 am

Nice step-by-step guide Lauren! My favourite green smoothie for breakfast is made with coconut water, mango, mint, ginger, cucumber, avocado and spinach, topped with chia seeds. But I’m trying an improvised version of your cacao greens shake soon, because it looks delicious paired with berries!

Reply lauren April 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Oh I love that!!! I am going to try it 🙂

• Reply Bobby April 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Great recipe!
    Add a tbsp of raw fermented cabbage or beets = natural probiotics and you have a SUPERFOOD DRINK

Reply lauren April 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Great suggestion!! Not for the faint of heart, but definitely SUPER healthy!

• Reply elizabeth April 24, 2013 at 3:42 am

Lauren, super post. I take issue only with your recommendation of coconut milk in cartons vs. cans. The Native Forest brand comes in BPA free cans and contains only coconut, water and organic guar gum. Whereas the stuff in cartons contains dried cane syrup and carrageenan (about which I’ve heard not great stuff).

Reply lauren April 24, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hi Elizabeth, the only reason I did not recommend the cans is because of the thickness. It was not for the quality. I have found make a smoothie with the base of coconut milk from a can ends up more like a cream pudding than a shake…. way to creamy and thick. From my research Carrageenan is made from parts of various red algae or seaweeds and is used for medicine and has been found to be safe. But yes, I would only recommend the unsweetened coconut milk. It is not my favorite of all choices, but would rather people use that than conventional milk products.

• Reply Lauren April 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Love the step-by-step directions! Green smoothies are my go-to breakfast – mine this morning had a banana, coconut milk, cucumber, greens, chia seeds, cinnamon, kefir, and almond butter. Delicious!

• Reply Paula S May 1, 2013 at 5:08 am

Oh man this put my page on how to make a smoothie to shame!!!

Your smoothies look like a delicious combination of smoothie and cereal – do you have a favourite recipe?

Paula

Reply lauren May 1, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Well I am glad it meets your standards 🙂 As for my favorite, check out my Killer Kale Smoothie!

• Reply Branko May 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm

All your smoothie-variations sound good and I have no improvement for any of them. My only suggestion is to ‘eat’ them shakes, rather than drinking them, because by eating them the chewing brings saliva into play, a very useful ingrediant in digestion.
    Looking forward to learn from you and appreciating the feedback from the readers.
    An old expat in Portugal 🙂

Reply lauren May 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Absolutely! Thank you for mentioning this. Chewing or even swishing the smoothie (and juice) activates enzymes which help to breakdown the nutrients therefore increasing the over benefits of the smoothie.

• Reply lori kirby May 10, 2013 at 10:53 pm

This is the most detailed post on smoothie making I have come across. Thanks. I make them a lot but you have given me some new ingredients to amp them up a bit. Nice job!

Reply lauren May 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply Salverde May 11, 2013 at 5:03 am

Is kale better juiced or blended?

Reply lauren May 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I love it both ways! Depends if you want the fiber or not. They both serve different, but equally important, purposes.

• Reply beccah larsen June 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hey Lauren….I am really excited to start making this smoothie…I do have a question how much protein powder do you use? Do you follow directions on the bag? Thanks so much!

Reply lauren June 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I always just go for one scoop. Most all protein powders have a standard serving size, which is what I follow. Unless of course you need more protein, then you can increase it.

• Reply Sarah Jane August 30, 2013 at 9:14 am

OMG super excited bout this post, and you have put so many things in categories that I was unsure off, have just given up dairy, wheat and gluten and was really struggling with breakfast choices very excited and as someone new to frequenting health food shops I was greatly excited to see I actually have nearly everything in I need!! wahoo!! thanks so much 🙂

Reply lauren August 30, 2013 at 4:01 pm

This is excellent for anyone who is dairy and gluten-free. I have one every morning! It is also great if you are trying to reduce sugar, because you can just use avocado instead of bananas and put loads of greens, healthy fats like chia or hemp, then add protein powder and a bit of stevia to sweeten. I always look forward to it 🙂

• Reply Yomarie September 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm

This is great! I just print it and put it on my fridge & it will stay there until I learn every step. Thanks a lot hon this shakes will be my last meal of the day.

Reply lauren September 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Fabulous!!! <3

• Reply Nicole September 5, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Are there any pre-made powders that include many of the above mentioned? I am thinking of Shakeology or Isagenix, or any of the other meal replacement/protein powders. Could they be used in place of many of the ingredients listed above, as a timesaver?

Reply lauren September 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm

HI Nicole, I really do not recommend Isagenix or Shakeology as they are full on additives and fake sugar. You can check out my post on weight loss where I cover that to some extent HERE.

You can try one by VEGA or Garden of Life RAW.

• Reply Roslyn Auckett September 27, 2013 at 1:48 am

Best smoothie I’ve ever seen online!!
    With the nutrient specific superfoods do you have to have all of them and can you add others eg., Yerba mate or Cordycep mushrooms? Can you substitute Macqi or Acai for Camu?

Reply lauren October 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Absolutely!! I love to switch it up. You of course have to play with the taste because some additions like Yerba or Maca really change the flavor of the smoothie.

• Reply H October 1, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Hi Lauren, I have recently started to drink green smoothies once a day. My favorite “greens” include kale and spinach (I prefer fresh greens). However, I just came across an article about goitrogenic foods, and many of the foods in my smoothies are goitrogenic, such as kale, spinach, strawberries, flax seeds, and peaches. As a woman with a family history of hypothyroidism, I am concerned about developing hypothyroidism. Do you have any thoughts about this? I’d hate to give up my green smoothies.

Reply lauren October 6, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Hello there! Goitrogenic foods interfere with iodine uptake, but to a lesser degree than other substances. In my opinion if you are taking a good iodine supplement, you most likely will be able to offset any decline in iodine uptake. I personally love XenoStat by Premier Research Labs and Sealogica. I would take both daily. In addition, start including foods that stimulate the thyroid such as healthy saturated fats such as coconut oil/butter, avocado and organic grass-fed butter. As long as you are monitoring how you feel, and you feel good… I would not be too concerned. One other thing though, make sure to avoid radiation exposure as the thyroid is very susceptible to damage from radiation. A supplement called Green Tea ND by Premier Research Labs will be extremely helpful here to protect the thyroid, and I personally would be taking it every day as well (radiation exposure is hard to avoid, especially if you travel on planes often).

• Reply Roslyn Auckett October 1, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Sound great! Thanks Lauren!!

• Reply I Like the Way You Smooth: Fab 5 Smoothie Essentials | Clean Curves October 7, 2013 at 4:42 am

[…] then started to connect some of the dots about the smoothie basics.  Then, I stumbled upon this amazing post from The Holy Kale and it made everything very very easy and set me on the path for healthy […]

• Reply Jo October 17, 2013 at 12:15 am

Hi Lauren! I am now addicted to your site. I am trying to clean up my diet, give up meat, lose weight and get my digestion in order. All are problematic for me.
    You mention several times that you are not a fan of soy. When I started menopause, I decided I didn’t want to go with replacement hormones and would suffer through. Seven years later and I am still battling it. Soy has actually helped with my hot flashes and I have come to rely on and enjoy my Silk Vanilla Soy Milk.
    Is it really that bad?
    Thanks!

• Reply Karen January 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Hi, Lauren,

Just got a Vitamix for Christmas so was Googling green smoothies when I came across your website. LOVE the green smoothie instructions!! Question for you: you recommend MSM but don’t have a link for that one. Do you recommend it in powder form? Which brand do you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Reply lauren January 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Hi Karen, MSM can be very helpful for joint health, and hair growth. I personally love the MSM by Sunfire Superfoods. It comes in a powder and can easily be added to a smoothie. So excited for your green smoothie revolution!

• Reply Karen January 11, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Just want to say thanks for this recommendation. My daughter has a condition with weak connective tissue, so I was thrilled to learn that MSM helps that, too. Thank you! We can’t wait to be healthier in 2014! 🙂

• Reply Healthy Recipes - Superfood Green Smoothie - Fifi's Skinny Munch January 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm

[…] The Holy Kale – Green Superfood Smoothie: How to. […]

• Reply Karen January 20, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Lauren, you mention at the beginning of this article making your own nut milk. Could you explain how, if it isn’t already mentioned somewhere else on your web site? Thanks!

Reply lauren January 22, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Hi Karen – it is actually quite simple, but to help you, I would suggest watching this video by My New Roots: http://vimeo.com/27840577 – that will walk you through the process.

• Reply Breanne Colella February 3, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Would love to receive your newsletter!

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale February 4, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Hi Breanne, you are all signed up!

• Reply Andrew February 5, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Hello Lauren,

Thanks for the post, I’m giving this a try tonight.

You say to use a 1 tbs dose for “Healthy/Happy Fats”…is that 1 tbs of each ingredient (hemp seeds, cocnut oil, flax seeds, etc.) or 1 tbs of all of them combined?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale February 13, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hi Andrew, I assume you figured this out by now, but I would say 1 tbs of ONE of the ingredients. But if you are looking for it to be more filling, or more calorie dense, then add as much and as many as you like.

• Reply Mark February 7, 2014 at 6:53 am

Hey lauren,
    Great article, really informative. I’ve been using green smoothies as breakfast and vitamin and nutrient enhancer. Kale, celery and cucumber. Banana or berries to sweeten then the chia seeds maca or cacao and gogji berries. Filtered water as a base. I have really been feeling a difference however I think it’s affecting how regular I need to use the bathroom. I have a pull in my guy every two days and feel I need to be on the toilet all day. Do you think I’m eatting too much greens? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale February 13, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Hi Mark, the smoothies contain a lot of fiber, and when people increase their fiber intake dramatically this can happen. I would suggest eliminating the chia for now – this is high in fiber, and see how you do. If this still doesn’t help, try drinking only half the smoothie and then work your way back up. Finally, if that is still not helping, I would try adding this product in your smoothies called Galactan. It is a pre-biotic and can help to build the healthy flora in the gut and prevent the constant “flush” of the bowels.

• Reply Andrew February 7, 2014 at 11:31 pm

These are awesome! Just made my first one…was wondering if it’s okay to drink these every day or it might be nutrition overload or something?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale February 13, 2014 at 2:48 pm

GO ahead!! You can drink them everyday!

• Reply Cat February 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Hi Lauren
    Nice website, really gave me some idea’s.
    since you are vegan, I would like to warn you just in case you don’t know this.
    colostrum is a powder made from the first milk an animal gives after giving birth. It’s packet with immune boosting molecules. I use every once in a while, but I’m an ovo-lacto vegetarian…

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale February 15, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Hi Cat, thank you for the look out. I actually do consume some animal products now from time to time. The colostrum can be extremely helpful to healing the body so I think it is worth consuming 🙂

• Reply Andrew February 18, 2014 at 5:53 am

Hey Lauren,

Thanks for the replies, I’m loving making these daily smoothies. I feel so much better after almost 2 weeks. Last night I bought the MSM by Sunfire Superfoods that you recommended in the comments. I was browsing their site and noticed that they also sell Tocotrienols. I’ve learned that all the products you recommended on this site have a lot of integrity, all high quality. I was wondering what you think about Sunfire Superfood’s Tocotrienols?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Reply Jasper March 31, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Terrific post! I can tell you did your research on best brands and ingredients. On flax seeds though – maybe ground vs whole seeds as our bodies can’t digest them whole and you need a really good blender to break them up.

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale April 13, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Great suggestion 🙂 I always grind mine in a coffee grinder.

• Reply teresa May 13, 2014 at 5:20 am

this is so awesome, thanks for sharing!!!

• Reply Hi Lauren, August 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Hoping you can advise as I can’t seem to find a conclusive answer to my question as follows: Every morning over the past few months I have a tablespoon of organic freeze dried wheatgrass mixed with a pint of water (I have to hold my breath while drinking as rather disgusting!). I also have bullit proof coffee with 1 tbl spoon of grassfed organic butter and 2 tbl spoons of high octane coconut oil. According to the nutritional analysis of wheatgrass this amounts to several pounds of vegetables, loaded with minerals and amino acids. I’ve always been lousy consuming fresh veg and am now thinking of getting into the habit of making green smoothy mixes as you’ve advised. However, due to the above nutritional content it would appear both unnecessary and irrational. Also wasting money perhaps better spent elsewhere. Do you agree? Thank you in anticipation. Sharon.

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale October 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Hi Sharon, every body is different and therefore it totally depends on what your health status is and what your lifestyle and diet are like. Nutrition (vitamins, minerals and healthy fats etc.) are used to rebuild tissue, optimize organ functioning, detoxify/cleanse the body, build new tissue and normalize mood… they do a lot. Most of us are deficient because these nutrients are used for all of that, and even more are needed if there is stress, anxiety, toxins etc. So I would not say that drinking a green smoothie is overdoing it. I would think it would be a benefit to your body. But if you are concerned, get a blood test done and look at your vitamins/mineral/antioxidant levels. From there you can decide.

• Reply Healthy holiday smoothies | Five Minutes to Fabulous November 23, 2014 at 4:46 pm

[…] If you need some help with getting the right ratio of everything, check out this post from The Holy Kale. […]

• Reply Owlie June 9, 2015 at 12:29 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you say I can make a healthy smoothie with just a banana and powder instead if produce? I have IBS and fresh fruit and veg really upset my tum. Greens powders seem to go down ok. How many servings a day do you recommend for good nutrition?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale June 9, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Yes absolutely. Freezing the banana is a great way to make it thicker too. You could also try using avocado and a nut milk or coconut milk as a base too. One large smoothie – about 2 cups – is a good way to start. For you, I would make sure to add 1 oz of aloe juice which helps with digestion. Glutamine powder will also be a good addition as it helps to heal the intestinal lining. In IBS there is almost always leaky gut which means the GI tract lining is compromised. The aloe and glutamine will help to heal that. Tocotriene (rice bran) powder will be a good thickener, as well as colostrum powder. Both of which will be beneficial to your condition. Other additions you can try are the hemp and chia seed. Fresh ginger can also be added too.

• Reply www.118go.com December 11, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Awesome post.

• Reply taucan62 December 20, 2015 at 2:22 am

Kale tastes-and smells like vomit. How do you get around that?

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale December 23, 2015 at 3:49 pm

You can always choose another green like spinach or a greens powder. Adding bananas is another way to mask the taste.

• Reply ชาทีมิกซ์ April 29, 2016 at 4:27 pm

First off I want to say awesome blog! I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if you do not mind.

I was interested to find out how you center yourself and
    clear your head before writing. I’ve had trouble clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.

I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted just trying to figure out how to
    begin. Any recommendations or tips? Kudos!

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale April 30, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Good Morning! Thank you for the kind words. For me personally, it has been all about taking advantage of your natural inspirational times. For me, that is first thing in the morning before the stresses and obligations of the day begin. If I get going first thing, I find that I have the best luck writing. Best of luck!

• Reply 19 Winter smoothies with less known super foods | Creative beauty September 2, 2016 at 4:26 am

[…] Photo credit; Green Apple,Pumpkin and Quinoa, Noni , Baobab  , Matcha , Jicama , Amrit , Moringa , Mulberry, Kefir , Maqui , Buckwheat, Activated Nuts, Sprouts, Pomegranate, Royal Jelly, MSM […]