low sugar, green smoothie for weight loss
Breakfast, Food, Nutrition Tips, Raw, Recipes, Smoothies and Juices, Snacks, Superfoods

Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss

About three months ago I realized that I needed to start cutting back on sugar… sugar of all kinds. Yes, I know, an awful realization.

I was dealing with hypoglycemia and reactive hormone-imbalance, and therefore I decided that I had to make a change in regards to my diet. What that meant was an elimination of all sugars, including natural sugars such as honey, molasses, coconut sugar etc. and a cut back on fruit and even root vegetables. This was all well and good except my favorite morning green smoothies were loaded with tasty treats such as bananas, pineapple, watermelon, dates and pears, all things I would now have to eliminate.

So as all good health warriors would, I had to start racking my brain on how to alter my green smoothie recipe so it would remain my happy morning meal, full of nutrition, but still tasty. Now this was not an easy feat, because if you are in the habit of something sweet, your taste buds are going to put of a fight when they denied. The good news is that they WILL get used to the change, and by changing the flavor profile to a more savory and decadent one, you will feel even more satisfied than ever – remember, healthy fats do not make you fat.

The following is my new recipe for a low-sugar green smoothie, that is jammed packed with all the good-stuff and still tastes amazing. The avocado replaces the creamy texture brought by the typical banana, and the blueberries (a low-sugar fruit) in addition to the stevia and vanilla protein powder makes this smoothie just sweet enough. I also like to top my smoothies with nuts, seeds, bee pollen and coconut, because the process of having something crunchy to chew on helps to keep you satiated, and that’s a deal breaker when trying to stay slim.

I want to let you know that once you start eliminating sugar, weight loss happens pretty rapidly, and your cravings for sugar, carbohydrates and alcohol decline, all huge wins in my opinion. So take a leap of faith, and start your day right with this new smoothie recipe. This is the perfect breakfast replacement, and yes, it does in fact contain kale too!

low sugar, green smoothie for weight loss

Photo Credit: veeterzy

• Reply rachel green October 6, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Oh my God! You look fantastic! And those abs! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us. It is a great addition to the cooking program I got from this site http://www.mynotsosecretfitnessmethods.com I really appreciate you guys for sharing and I hope that like you, I will also get the body that I want. You do not stop to inspire people like me. I wish you good health so you may continue to contribute to our journey in losing weight.

Reply lauren October 6, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thank you so much Rachel. Just sticking to a clean diet and fun outdoor activities seems to be the key!

• Reply Georgia November 15, 2013 at 2:44 am

Hi there! I am new to your blog and happy I found it. I had a question regarding your recipe. What is a good alternative to the protein powder. I am trying to stay as close to possible to foods. I am trying to stay away from sugars as well and finding it very challenging…I’m thinking if I up my protein it should be good. BTW, you look great!

Reply lauren November 16, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Hemp seeds and chia seeds have protein, and are good sources. Try increasing the amount into your smoothie.

• Reply Bobby October 6, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Isn’t that a lot of fat?

Reply lauren October 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Yes, it is a lot of healthy fats, but if you are cutting out sugars and I also cut out grains, your body turns to fat as a prime source of energy rather than glucose. That way you burn fat stores, which helps to lean you out. It is also just important to include tons of vegetables and clean sources of protein.

• Reply Bobby October 6, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Thanks, I am a runner and vegan ,and I run a lot , I’ve been torn lately between the 80/10/10 thinking and the NSNG.
        I’m just trying to fine tune my diet for optimum performance.
        Thank
        Bobby
        runningeatingrocking.blogspot.com

• Reply chad November 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm

stick with the 80/10/10

• Reply Amanda Browning October 6, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I see myself in this post. I adore fruits, and while I hardly consume added sugar like honey, molasses or coconut sugar I grab fruit every second I feel a craving for sweet things. I adore pineapples and pears in my smoothies always! I think this smoothie sounds divine, and I have been thinking of adding more healthy fats and protein while toning down the carbohydrate rich foods, I am going to be doing a 21 days juicing challenge soon and I already told myself I would work hard to put just one fruit in each juice.
    My dad and I picked loads of fresh blueberries this summer and froze them, so this looks perfect to me.
    Would you be able to inspire me with some snacks that are light but not fruit?
    Thanks, I have been missing your well thought out posts! 🙂

Reply lauren October 6, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Hi Amanda… That sounds like an awesome plan! 21 days of juicing! My favorite combinations for green juice without fruit is kale, spinach, romaine, parsley, cucumber and celery, its actually naturally sweet. As for snacks, I typically go for japenese cucumbers, cherry tomatoes (they will be your best friend!), and raw nuts/seeds, especially pumpkin seeds. I also cut out grains, so I rely on homemade kale chips also. Good Luck!

• Reply Tracy October 7, 2013 at 7:27 pm

This looks delish! Great inspiration and perfect timing. I am in the exact same boat!! Hypoglycemia and reactive hormone imbalance. I am relieved to finally know whats going on but a bit bewildered as well. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear how you continue to change your diet to help balance out the blood sugar and the subsequent hormone reactions. Please, please pretty please share!!

Reply lauren October 8, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Oh it is so nice to have someone dealing with the same thing 🙂 Yes, cutting out sugar has been actually pretty amazing, even eliminating the carbs from grains has been good too. A completely different diet than what I was used to, but sometimes you just have to listen to your body and see where it takes you!

• Reply Lourdes June 19, 2014 at 2:26 am

I am always looking into ways of cutting down on carbs. I decided to try incorporating shakes into my diet, replacing a meal or snack of the day. I was thinking breakfast would be wisest if I wanted to avoid carbs in the evening. What are your thoughts?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale July 12, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Yes absolutely. You can also do a shake for breakfast and dinner if cutting carbohydrates is hard for you. Just make sure that you are eating plenty of healthy fats as well because if you cut fats then you will really have a difficult time cutting carbs. Also make sure to still eat plenty of vegetables. You can use starchier vegetables like sweet potato, pumpkin and winter squash as a carb replacement.

• Reply nikki October 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I too was hypoglycemic almost my whole life, even when I was mostly vegan and considered really healthy. I even did low-sugar smoothies. I learned that giving your body any type of carbs in the morning, even if its healthy, such as a low-sugar green smoothie, its still giving your body carbs first thing in the morning, which then the sugars are used for fuel to burn, training your body to use sugar for energy. I swithced over to have grass-fed organic butter and MCT oil in my tea, blended in a blender for a frothy tea, and within 2 weeks I reversed my hypoglycemia. If you are vegan, you can do just coconut oil in some tea, and have that in the morning, and then the green smoothie a few hours later. I am telling you, this completely changed my life in terms of hypoglycemia. I can workout and not get so light-headed, I don’t wake up and feel dizzy unless I eat, and I can go hours without eating if needed, and not be cranky or ravishing.

Reply lauren October 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Great tip Nikki!! That is very similar to the concept of grass-fed butter/MCT coconut oil in coffee that has been really popular as well.

• Reply Madeline October 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for sharing! I ordered the protein powder today and I’m going to try this smoothie in the morning after workouts as I attempt to get back on a steady exercise routine. I’ve been on a vegetarian diet by choice since the age of 3 (strange kid, I know) and I haven’t been the greatest at supplementing my protein. Your blog has been extremely helpful in my quest to regain healthier habits. It has definitely been a work in progress!
    My question is for a low sugar/carb/grain diet like this, what do your other meals look like? What do you suggest for a take-to-work lunch or dinner?
    Thank you!

Reply lauren October 27, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Hi Madeline, I am so glad I have been able to help you! I have this smoothie for breakfast, then for lunch a large salad with greens (arugula, spinach, kale), tomatoes, cucumbers, sauerkraut, fresh herbs (parsley, thyme etc.), and either an organic egg or organic bison (ground). Then for dinner I have lightly steamed vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, with an egg or bison or wild salmon (lightly seared). For snacks, its vegetables like tomatoes and cucumbers, zucchini, olives or raw nuts. The lunch and dinners are easy to take on the go.

• Reply Mary @ Fit and Fed October 25, 2013 at 4:36 am

Lauren, you are looking fantastic! Good job on the smoothie, it looks appetizing and yet so healthy and low-sugar. I should lower my sugar intake too, it does sneak in there.

• Reply wendy marquez December 4, 2013 at 2:57 am

Hi my husband is a diabetic so I want to change our eating habits. I want to start drinking a green smoothie for breakfast would that help us get started on a new eating habit or do we have to go all green foods at once. How can we transit into drinking/eating greens?

Reply lauren December 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Hi Wendy, you do not have to start all at once, that is the beauty. Just start with this green smoothie every morning and it will help you transition into a change in diet. It helps you to feel better, and change your taste buds into liking more natural, whole foods. Good Luck!

• Reply 5 THINGS YOUR LIPS ARE SAYING ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. | December 6, 2013 at 9:03 am

[…] lips can also show that you’re body is running low on iron. So make sure you’re sipping green smoothies, munching kale stuffed avocados and jam-packed spinach salads to maintain your iron […]

• Reply Evelyn December 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Hi!! Im new to the world of green smoothies:) i am allergic to avocado. I was wondering what else i can substitute the abocado for….I also have diabetes and am looking for a feet green smoothie recipes that are diabetes friendly.

Reply lauren December 10, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Hi Evelyn, why don’t you try using a nut butter, like cashews or you can even blend cashews into the smoothie. You can also try fresh coconut meat, or even coconut yogurt. Let me know how that goes!

• Reply Randy February 5, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Could you please post the nutritional spec for this drink. Mainly how many grams of protein, fat, and carb per serving if you have those handy.

Thanks

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale February 13, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi Randy, I actually do not have these numbers because I do not believe in counting each macronutrient. I put in what I know by body needs and I rely on how I feel. If you have a condition that requires you to, you can simply just look up the information on the packages. Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

• Reply adam February 19, 2014 at 4:02 am

Is this safe smoothie to consume daily?

For the past two-months, I was drinking a kale-celery-apple-ginger smoothie, daily. Moreover, during lunch, I would eat a turkey kale wrap with sides of raw cauliflower, brocolli and almonds.

I guess, my question to you, with all the info floating around about too much kale, am I in danger? Or is that something you do not buy into.

If you need, I am 32, male, 168 pounds and I workout 5-days a week.

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale February 23, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Hi Adam – yes absolutely. You can drink a green smoothie daily. The only issue with kale and other curciferous veges is that they contain compounds that inhibit the absorption of iodine. Iodine is needed by the body to support thyroid function. If you are having a thyroid condition, then I would watch how much I am consuming, but if you are not, then I would not be too concerned. Steaming these vegetables lowers their inhibition of iodine, so when eating them not in a smoothie, that is a good practice. You can also increase your iodine intake with seaweeds or a supplement as well.

• Reply Kathy March 6, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Hi Lauren, great recipe. Can’t wait to try it. Question: Can you use the Vanilla Chike instead of the vanilla protein powder?

Reply Lauren aka The Holy Kale March 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Hi kathy – you can, but I would beware of eating that. It has non-organic whey and soy…. plus it has corn syrup solids (GMO Food), sodium caseinate (very difficult on the digestion), and fake sugars sucralose and acesulfame K.

• Reply Kale Smoothies For Weight Loss | Slim Body Blog August 25, 2014 at 6:19 am

[…] Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss | The Holy Kale – Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss (gluten-free, raw, vegan) by The Holy Kale . Ingredients:… […]

• Reply Kale Smoothies To Loss Weight | All about fat loss August 25, 2014 at 12:54 pm

• Reply Low Carb Green Smoothies For Weight Loss | Slim Body Blog October 4, 2014 at 9:50 am

[…] Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss | The Holy Kale – … such as a low-sugar green smoothie, its still giving your body carbs first thing in the morning, … Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss | The Holy Kale – Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss (gluten-free, raw, … […]

• Reply Weight Loss Kale Smoothie | ksmile88-for people January 4, 2015 at 12:10 am

• Reply Green Smoothies Recipes For Weight Loss Pdf | kscfood March 17, 2015 at 12:31 pm

[…] Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss | The … – Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss (gluten-free, raw, vegan) by The Holy Kale . Ingredients:… […]

• Reply Smoothies For Weight Loss - My Family Health March 25, 2015 at 3:27 am

[…] Low-sugar, green smoothie for weight loss | the holy kale […]

• Reply Weight Loss Banana Smoothies Recipes | vitamines.xyz April 27, 2015 at 12:41 pm

[…] Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for … – Low-Sugar, Green Smoothie for Weight Loss (gluten-free, raw, vegan) by The Holy Kale . Ingredients:… […]

• Reply Weight Loss Smoothies Pdf | foodsupplement.xyz April 27, 2015 at 1:10 pm

• Reply Amelia January 3, 2016 at 11:37 am

I wanted to leave a quick note expressing gratitude for this recipe and to offer praise and respect for all the fruits of what looks like a lot of very hard work. I just have 2 questions to ask for your advice. I live in Germany and here kale is a seasonal vegetable available only in the middle of winter. I presume kale is the ideal choice because it is so dense with vitamins and nutrients, but what would you most recommend as an alternative for the other seasons? I was using spinach, but got a little tired of that. Also are frozen vegetables okay to use rather than fresh?

I am most thankful for your time and attention. You are my hero!

Reply Lauren The Holy Kale January 8, 2016 at 5:19 pm

What kind words!!! Thank you for that. Spinach is a good option, or you could try other bitter greens like collard greens, chard, turnip or mustard greens. You may have to use less of the bitter greens to make it palatable. YES, frozen organic veggies and fruits are always an option. Perhaps freeze some kale next time it is in season. Best of luck!