Why does it seem that snacks are always the low part of the day? If you are embarking on a healthy eating journey, or have been on one for some time, there is a good chance that when you think of healthy snacks, only the following come to mind – an apple (perhaps sliced with almond butter if you want to get fancy), trail mix, hummus and carrot sticks. And then the next thing comes to mind, boring. Day-after-day this routine gets really old, and makes following a healthy diet as bland as advertised. So today’s post is all about changing up your snack routine with 26 healthy snack upgrades. Try out these new snacks ideas that not only get a nutritionist’s seal of approval, but also offer a culinary experience that provides a much needed break in your busy work day.
The following list features my favorite healthy snacks. Some can be purchased at your local store, others need a little preparation. But if you take a few minutes from your weekend to prepare, the rewards of eating a sought after snack at work will be well worth it.
26 Healthy Snack Upgrades: New Ideas, Bigger Taste
*portion size: stick to smaller portions totaling around 200 calories. This is usually about 1/2 cup to 1 cup, or palm-size handful or baseball serving size. 1 Tablespoon portion for sauces and nut butters.
1. Veggie or chicken (organic) spring roll
2. Oven dried tomatoes with sea salt and garlic powder
3. Dried mango with raw almond butter
(I love this brand of almond butter)
4. Stuffed dried figs or dates with nut butter and a piece of dark chocolate (extra decadent!)
5. Almond milk with greens powder and protein powder
(check out my favorite protein powders here)
6. A few pieces of organic tempeh bacon
(Lightlife makes a great tasting organic version)
7. Hard boiled organic egg with truffle sea salt
8. Chia pudding with fresh fruit
9. Chocolate avocado low-sugar pudding
(love this recipe – use stevia instead of honey)
10. Gluten free seed crackers with black bean dip
11. Oven roasted zucchini chips with sea salt
12. Yogurt (Organic Greek, almond or coconut) with walnuts, hemp seeds, and avocado
13. Toasted slice of homemade gluten-free walnut bread
14. One homemade black quinoa corn muffin or turmeric breakfast muffin
15. A cup of massaged kale salad
16. Half of an avocado with sea salt and nutritional yeast on a rice cake
(nutritional yeast tastes like cheese and is a great source of B vitamins)
17. One homemade protein/granola bar
18. Sliced jicama with this butternut squash queso
19. Upgraded trail mix: coconut chips, goji berries, cacao nibs, and dried blueberries
(You’ve gotta try Goji Berries from Dragon Herbs – life changing!)
20. Small cup of this mojito mint green smoothie
21. Veggie burger patty sans bun
22. Olives with an organic hard cheese
23. Snap peas and hummus
(I love sprouted hummus by Majestic Garlic – sprouted makes the nutrients more available and easier to digest)
24. Homemade baked sweet potato chips with sea salt
25. Kale chips (homemade or store bought)
26. Crispy sea salt seaweed snacks
(I love the Seasnax brand, but be careful these get in your teeth!)
Happy Snacking! Feel free to share any of your favorite snack ideas as well. Just leave them in the comments below.
This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. The affiliate program helps to keep this website free.