THK Juicing Guide
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juice is a quick and easy way to get your health back on track. They are an excellent source of a wide range of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants, and contain compounds that have been shown to prevent disease and cancer. Because they come from raw fruits and vegetables, they are full of enzymes needed for digestion, assimilation, cell growth, immune functioning and toxin elimination.
Green juices are primarily made up of leafy green vegetables which are known for their high chlorophyll content. Chlorophyll has a molecular composition extremely close to human hemaglobin (blood) which can allow for these drinks to act as “mini-transfusions” for the blood, and tonics for the brain and immune system. Green juice also act as the perfect catalyst for detoxification in the body because they carry away toxins and wastes, neutralize the body’s pH and purify the blood which leads to whole body healing.
Vegetables are rebuilders, nourishers and revitalizers. They aid in the removal of acid wastes, balance metabolism and have anti-infective properties.
Fruit juices are cleansers and quick energy boosters. Containing high levels of nutrients and antioxidants, they are great for cancer and disease prevention. Fruit juice often contains high levels of sugar, and because of its quick assimilation (contains no fiber), may cause imbalance in blood sugar levels. Furthermore, pathogens and Candida feed on sugar, so please consume sparingly. * Best when mixed with vegetable juice.
Overall Juicing Benefits
- Disease Prevention
- Improved Appearance- hair, nails and skin
- Mental Clarity and Focus
- Reduced Junk Food and Sugar cravings
- Improved Digestion
- Natural Weight Loss
- Healthy Immune System
What to Juice
|Green Ingredients||Sweet Ingredients||Herbal Ingredients|
|Dandelion Greens||Coconut Water||Mint|
|Lettuce||Superfood Extras||Therapeutic Spices|
|Pepper: Green, Jalapeño||Onion: Green, Sweet, Red||Unheated Sea Salt|
|Ginger Root||Cayenne Pepper|
- Whenever possible, purchase organic produce, because juice is a concentrate and it will prevent any herbicides, pesticides, or any other toxic residues from ending up in your juice.
- Thoroughly wash the produce, preferably with a fruit and vegetable wash, and if you are using non-organic produce, be sure to peel it.
- Do not consume commercial juices. Most often they contain added sugar, are made from concentrates (not real fruit), have added toxic preservatives and have been pasteurized. Pasteurization kills all live active enzymes in the juice, (enzymes are highly beneficial to the body), it damages the vitamins and mineral content, and leaves it, more often than not, no better than sugar water.
- Ideally all juices should be made fresh and consumed immediately in order to reap maximum benefits. Once the produce has been juiced, it begins to loose its mineral and enzyme content.
- Fasting on fresh juice is an excellent way to cleanse the system and to prevent any disease or illness, because you will give your body a chance to heal while providing all the nutrients it needs to detoxify.
- Juice fasting is an excellent remedy for overcoming an acute infection, fever or illness because it gives the body a chance to focus its energy and nutrients on healing rather than metabolic processes (digestion).
Often getting started with juicing can be difficult because you have no idea how much produce you are going to need. While I usually wing it, and just swing by Whole Foods or the Farmer’s Market as needed, here is a little help figuring out how much some of the basic vegetables yield. * please note I have a breville juicer, and not all juicers produce the same yield.
- Spinach (2 bunches) = 1/2 cup of juice
- Carrots (8 medium) = 1 cup of juice
- Beets (1 large) = 1/2 cup of juice
- Celery (1 bunch or full stalk) = 1 1/4 cup of juice
- Cucumber (1 medium) = 3/4 cup of juice
- Parsley, Cilantro or other Herbs (1 bunch) = 1/3 cup of juice
- Ginger or Turmeric Root (1 knob) = 1 tbs of juice
Ready to Get Started? All you have to do is get your juicer!
My favorite and affordable juicer is the Breville 900-Watt. Efficient, Effective and Will Not Break the Bank.